Extending Starter pull cord for pulley use

HI,

My motor (ros 125) has a pull start which when retracted, goes back to the pull start casing -down behind the frame -and I want to look at how i can extend the start cord so I can run it through a pulley and be able to use it for in-flight access. Not sure what the correct method for doing this is - can anyone advise?

thanks

hi.

don't know your exact model, but almost all the pull-starting mechanisms are the same, and the cord can be fixed in an extended position with no problem. So just fix a pulley to the frame in a suitable position and let the cord pass through it, leaving it a bit extended even in "rest" position.

Could be that it is still difficult to be reached with the frame on your back. In this case you shall try to fix the pull handle to your harness, as I did.

In the image the example of the pulley fixed to the frame

Pull-Start-video-thumb-581x326.jpg

Edited by calcifer

Hi  -and thanks very much for your reply.  Just to clarify -I dont need to rewind the pull starter with a longer piece of cord - -i simply fix a pulley to the frame and route the existing cord through the new pulley - and it should hopefully be still long enough to have enough length to turn the engine over sufficiently to start it..

Many Thanks .

Paul

understood.

to be honest I don't know how to disassemble the pull cord mechanism.

It should not be too difficult , but not even too simple, since it is charged with the returning spring.

The better thing should be to look for a disassemblable pulley, that would let you install it without disassembling the mechanism, or even easier, to cut the knot that keeps the pull handle and make it again after installation

1 hour ago, Capotec2015 said:

I dont need to rewind the pull starter with a longer piece of cord - -i simply fix a pulley to the frame and route the existing cord through the new pulley - and it should hopefully be still long enough to have enough length to turn the engine over sufficiently to start it..

Many Thanks .

Paul

By doing this you are possibly relocating the handle further out which in turn will load up the spring, which is not a good idea as will lead to premature failure, You still need to keep the starter under same spring tension but move handle up for easy reach, i understand exactly what you are trying to achieve but IMO you will need to buy a longer pull cord, also buy and fix a pulley wheel to your frame as pictured above, its easy to do you just need to work out total lengths required and buy necessary materials.

Hopefully this helps and you understand what i'm saying 9_9

Hi kiwi k,

This was what I was a little concerned about - if the cord itself was not replaced with a longer cord - an the pull starter rewound - as opposed to the existing cord just pulled out a bit -the spring would be partially loaded and also I wouldnt have as much pull travel when trying to pull the engine over. I will need to work out how much extra length I will need and have a play around with it. I will get there in the end!  Thanks for your response.