Low or High Hang points.

paramotormike

Here is a short explanation from Pascal Cambell Jones about his views on "low versus high hang points".

I like the last paragraph best...

Low hang points (LWSHP) like those from Parajet, PAP, Kangook and similar make so much more sense then most high hang points (HHP) that I have seen during my time flying paramotors.

I really believe paramotor manufacturers should be offering LWSHP as standard.

But why I hear you say?

Think about the inflation: imagine trying to pull your car in neutral gear with a rope attached to your shoulders (the equivalent of high hang-points).

Now think of how much more control and pull you would have if the rope was attached to your waist area (the equivalent of low hang-points).

Now, try to remember all the strange zig-zag take-offs you have seen where the pull of the wing is almost controlling the pilot. Which hang-points were they using?

Apart from the added benefit of low hang-points to your launching, there is the ability to 'feel' the feedback a wing can give you about the air while you are flying.

There is also the possibility of using weight shift to give you extra control over your wing via your body movement. You can literally steer the wing with your body, allowing for better camera control or to counter torque.

Once you have a little experience with low weight-shift hang-points you will naturally begin to use your body to carve tighter, more precise turns.

I simply cringe when I hear some pilots say that "high hang-points are more stable". To me all I hear is, "I like to have less control".

Mike :mrgreen::mrgreen:

As a relative beginner, and having flown PG (which amounts to low hang points) and PPG with high hang points, I also like the last paragraph best.

Yes, I like to have less control.

Of the elements in a PPG setup (wing, motor, pilot) it is the pilot which is most prone to error.

It is common in many areas of training to limit the operators influence on the machine.

I am not suggesting that high hang points are 'better', but there is a place for them and I don't think they should be considered as neccesarily bad.

Also, wrt inflation, as the wing inflates and leaves the ground, I have the A risers in my hands. I find that the pull through the hang points is insignificant relative to the feedback through my hands.

On launch, I am in the habit of keeping my hands pushed slightly against the risers, inproving my sense of where the wing is pulling and allowing me to correct without the zig-zag run.

I can see that a more experienced pilot will take advantage of and enjoy a more responsive set up, and for such a pilot, low hang points are preferable.

I would rather learn to fly a Tiger Moth, then move to the Pitts Special later on :D

• 3 weeks later...

I can agree with most of what's said. Some pilots prefer high, I prefer low.

I really like the swan necks for a best if both approach.

Still counters torque well, offers excellent weight shift and also with stability of a high hang and easy launching of a low hang. Best all round for me.