Welcome from the UK to the Saudi Arabian Branch

norman

I can think of no finer place to admire the rolling desert than from the canvas seat of a paramotor. I wish I had a similar carriage when I was flying in Oman in the early eighties. Those gentle breezes in the cool of the evening providing a consistent launch to watch the sun slip toward the horizon. Ahh, we envy you as we turn our backs to the lashing rain and fill in our tax returns. :lol:

Welcome gentlemen, as the earliest joiners in a mini phenomena. You will find the members here generous of their time, encouragement and advice where it is asked for. Please join in!

20080202-jqif6shhy9skh61fhx1pinq4du.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Norman,

I was also in Oman in 82 to 84 working initially in Seeb and then at Thumrait - best flying club ever!!

Alan has started up the web posting for a group of 5 new trainees with the hope a quite a few more joining us. Still waiting for my first solo - next week - inshallah!

Best regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

In the Omani northern enclave, north of Dibba, there is a guy called Itsu (a bulgarian) running a tandem operation in the sea breeze off the gulf. It is the most beautiful little mountain rising from a 5 to 10k coastal plain. Will sort out a piccy in a bit.

• 10 months later...

Quote "Great to hear that, 'Cheetah' by any chance or SOAF with another hat? I wish paramotoring had been around in those days - imagine the fun we could have had with that sea breeze and those hills!"

Sorry for the delay in the response, Norman - seem to get caught up in all sorts these days. With reference to my flying in Oman back in 82 to 84, it wasn't paramotoring or paragliding, it was a bit faster and heavier! I had the privelage of being talking baggage in both the SOAF Hunters and Jaguars at Thumrait. Still have a cracking video of some stunning fast-jet flying from there, a great bunch of guys who really knew how to get the best out of those jets.

With reference to our "band of brothers" here, we now have 4 qualified PPG pilots, including myself. I've now got just short of 30 hours using a shared He120 and Revolution 28. I have tried the Gofly, Fusion, ActionGT but still like the characteristics of the Revo - great wing! If I ever figure out how to get my piccies linked to these entries, I will post some up to date ones.

No flying for me today - rather unstable conditions with a front going through. Pity, the sun is shining as usual! :D

Those were the days Tigger, did the same myself at Thumrait. Happy days - a Jag mate and I cooked up a scheme for a 1v1 over Marmul, he couldn't even make it up the 45K that we were lurking at. No wing, no climb. Still, we had no guns or missiles so odds even. You and must have crossed there, I returned in '83. Very different now I gather, often do the shuttle from Abu-Dhabi Muscat but sadly never slip. One day...

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying still - another day in paradise. :wink:

Make with the piccies!

Here is how.

link[/img} Replace the funny last bracket with one the same as the rest and Bob's your uncle.

You might need to host your pictures and use the link from the hosting site. If you have probs send them to me and I will host them for you. You can also drop them into your album on this forum.

Hi Norman,

I tried to use an online photo album but the link wouldn't work so I have added three pictures in my album on this site - hopefully you can access them.

I was in Oman on loan service from the RAF as a Fighter Controller so was based at the radar site just down the road from the main base. Flew on just about everything that came trhough Thumrait as a result of that and even got a trip up to Seeb and back in a Hunter. Very, verrrrrry low in a Jag at very high speed! Did some desert trips using the desert rescue long range Land Rovers out into the Empty Quarter, amazing place - wouldn't mind trying to cross that in a paraglider as suggested by one of the guys here.

Weather here still rather unsettled and we even had some rain today! Temperature around 18C at the moment with clearing skies and a fresh wind. Hope the WX in the UK isn't getting you guys down too much.

Best wishes,

Martin