Pleasure flights...allowed or not

In the UK if someone bought for, for instance a Fresh Breeze Xcitor and wanted to create a pleasure flight business, is there anyway of legally achieving this. I know hot air ballons offer this service as I've just forked out €200 for the mother-in-law to have a go ....and another €500 to the pilot to extend the ride ...indefinitely :twisted:

There is a guy an hour down the coast offering this service in a tandem trike. I went to watch him on Sunday and, charging €70 for 15 minutes, I watched hime take up 6 passengers in the space of 3 hours. Not bad for a mornings work.

However, if this is not permitted, it means he cannot possibly have insurance and therefore is as stupid and irresponsible as they come.

Normally, I would have said something, but as the guy is a former 5 times European strong man (160kg), I thought I'd just smile, politely.

But it did get me thinking about how to achieve this legally and professionally. The Xcitor immediately sprang to mind :D

The biggest hurdle, if I am not wrong is that, as I understand the excemptions to the deregulation is that you cannot operate for hire or reward?

But what about instructors?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dan

In the UK, to fly a trike legally you need an NPPL and be a member of the BMAA to obtain insurance and registration and so on.

To tandem flights legally, it must only be 'as part of a training course' as I understand it.

So you would also need to be a BMAA instructor for that type of aircraft to be covered by the insurance.

I am also 'fairly sure' that you would never be able to sell it as a 'pleasure flight'

SW :D

Thanks for quick reply Simon.

I have a CAA PPL with 600 hrs attached, so that should take care of the first hurdle.

I anticipated that if it was do-able I would have to undertake an in-depth training course of some kind for, apart from the obvious type conversion requirement, for insurance purposes.

Your final point would answer a question I had about a huge bill board on the main road next to this guys flying site, it simply says: DO YOU WANT TO FLY? With a telephone number and a huge picture of his trike in flight.

Instead of pleasure flights, maybe: Introductory training flights?

What about Hotair balloon trips? What's the law governing that sport for hire and reward?

The guy is clearly breaking the law and risking pretty severe fines and potentially jail time should anything go wrong ... Even if he holds the relevant instructor qualifications, insurance, CoA and other documentation, he cannot operate for hire or reward. Doubtless he will try to rely on the limited exemption for training purposes (to any casual enquiry) but if there was an accident any insurance he has would be instantly invalidated - and any disclaimer he asks his participants to sign would be worthless....

This article covers most of the relevant laws, although American (FAA) it is very similar to the laws in UK, Europe and most other countries: http://footflyer.com/PPGBibleUpdates/Chapter08/ac_103_7.htm

Saying that, several companies offer microlight "sightseeing experiences" by also classing them as a "training flight", but maybe they have been granted CAA exemption or commercial operators licence ? http://www.airways-airsports.com/showkb.php?org_id=516&kb_header_id=305&kb_id=1183&gclid=CMyewJGQ3qgCFQoZ4QodUEg1_g

Thanks for quick reply Simon.

I have a CAA PPL with 600 hrs attached, so that should take care of the first hurdle.

I anticipated that if it was do-able I would have to undertake an in-depth training course of some kind for, apart from the obvious type conversion requirement, for insurance purposes.

Your final point would answer a question I had about a huge bill board on the main road next to this guys flying site, it simply says: DO YOU WANT TO FLY? With a telephone number and a huge picture of his trike in flight.

Instead of pleasure flights, maybe: Introductory training flights?

What about Hotair balloon trips? What's the law governing that sport for hire and reward?

Hot Air balloon pilots have a clear path to gain the required 'comercial operator's' licence.

No comercial operators licence exists for PPG and or Trike.

SW :D

To do it legally in the UK you would need to use a paraplane that has past section S certification which I believe only one has achevied this. You would also need to be a CAA approved instructor in that disaplin. Flights can not be offered as pleaser flights only air experience so some form upper air work would need to be briefed and demonstrated before and during the flight.

You don't need to be a member of the BMAA to fly a two seat trike or microlight it's just a members assioation offering benefits to it's members of mainly annual inspections at a lower cost, although you could get it done independently but at a higher cost. The BMAA don't offer insurance this done through independent company's. so in short you don't need to be a member of the BMAA to fly or operate a microlight as licensing and airworthyness belongs to the CAA.