Garmin GPS90

poz

Hi.

Don't know if anyone can help, but I won't know unless I ask :)

I have just dug out my old Garmin GPS90, which I haven't used in 10 years. Thinking it might be ok for PPGing.

It was working fine when I last used it, but now it doesn't seem to be able to find any satelites, despite being left outside 'searching the sky' for over an hour.

Anybody got any idea why or what I need to do to get it working again?

I am running the software from 1999 (version 2.06)

Thanks

Dan

I had a Garmin 45XL around that time and IIRC there was a series of button presses required to make it capable of coping with the Millenium change. The problem is that it is looking for where the satellites would have been at this time in 1910! Google search may well give you the GPS90 update info you require.

Sorted :)

I spoke to Garmin who confirmed that it was just a moatter of time before the GPS figured out which way is up.

4 hours did the trick, although it's way way out on altitude, so not as useful as I'd hoped.

Thanks for the advice though.

Dan

Is it always + and - ? If the error is always reading high the it could well be elipsoid error due to the model assuming a perfectly sperical earth. modern GPS have elipsoid error corrected and since the removal of selective availability are surprisingly accurate in their altitude readouts.

Is it always + and - ? If the error is always reading high the it could well be elipsoid error due to the model assuming a perfectly sperical earth. modern GPS have elipsoid error corrected and since the removal of selective availability are surprisingly accurate in their altitude readouts.

Yeah that sounds about right, because when I use my GPS196 next to it, it shows pretty much accurate altitude.

It's a shame because my 196 is double the size.

Thanks for that Fanman

Dan