licence

mac

Forgive me but i am new to this stuff. I don't want to sound stoopid but do you need a licence to fly a paramotor? I've seen different websites that suggest this training and that training and even one that said it's ok to train yourself(scarey) but nothing about a licence. :oops:

Hi Mac,

The sport is completely unregulated at the moment, in theory you could buy all the kit, drive to your nearest open field and launch yourself off without further ado. Clearly that would not be wise, but it would be legal as things stand.

The BHPA and BMAA, being established and to a point recognized, have an internal rating rating system that they employ based on their current experience and activities. They are by no means the experts nor the leaders in the field as they might claim to be in their core activities, but they have an organizational structure and bureaucracy.

Something will evolve over time I guess, till then we have a bit of an organizational void with the various factions vying for 'control'.

The Paramotor Club is independent not being affiliated to any of these organisations.

That's how I see it anyway.

Hi, being new to this sport myself, I'm not by any means an expert but as far as I have been told no licence or official qualification, BHPA / BMAA is required in this country at present. Future ?

What I don’t know and would like to add to your original question is, are any required to fly abroad ?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome :D

Again, the BHPA have arranged deals with sites overseas where they will insist that you have your card to hand if flying.. (they dont have any Paramotor sites though)

I have been free flying and Paramotoring in many countries and NEVER been asked for a card of any sort. :D:D

SW :D

I spoke to quite a few people before I started training (with Paddy), and the range of replies was tremendous, from clever PG business people wanting you to take 10 days plus to learn and spend £1500 on training with them and coerce you into buying kit before you started, to people saying 'oh just get a mate to show you the ropes'.

As there is no recognised licence at present, I took th emiddle ground and decided to learn with a guy who clearly knew his stuff, but didnt want to turn paramotoring into a quasi PPL style money spinner training wise. If in the fullness of time the CAA decide were all a bunch of idiots constantly infringing airspace and need regulating, then I doubt either the two training structures currently in place will be enough, and we'll all have to jump through some more hoops anyway?

I think theres a balance to be struck on training, yes you need training, but if you are reasonably intelligent you can learn quite quickly with an intructor who puts things across clearly and simply (I happily did my PG solo after one long day and a subsequent morning of training).

An awful lot of the theory can be read during those days and evenings (all too frequent) when you cant train outside, and this keeps the cost down, and you can travel at your own pace.

So I ended up with Paddy (Paddysparamotortraining), and so far its been a good decision; now if it'd just stop bluddy raining long enough I could go PPG solo then Id be made up!!

Only my opinion of course!!

Have fun

Regards

Steve

Edited by Guest

If in the fullness of time the CAA decide were all a bunch of idiots constantly infringing airspace and need regulating, then I doubt either the two training structures currently in place will be enough, and we'll all have to jump through some more hoops anyway?

Steve,

We are in accord. As this sport grows it is being sold on the back of some very poor thinking. I started a thread here about some of my concerns regarding safety and the general pitch of the sales efforts through magazines and advertising.

This is the sort of encounter that I am banging on about. I don't know the specifics but water and paramotors just don't mix...

The CAA will step in if they see the sport moving in the wrong direction and putting lives at risk, particularly the general public's. What concerns me a little is who they will turn to to 'control' or 'regulate' the sport. It may never come to that of course if pilots are sane and safe, stay clear of exhibitionism and low flying and act responsibly.

My point if you like, is there are some very well known PG/PPG schools who 'appear' to be using very long training sylabuses as a way into the wallets of the unwary; they also appear to heavily influence trainess to buy 'their' kit. But that is to be expected in a newish sport where people naturally see a commercial opportunity, and exploit it to various degrees, but it is up to us to distill truth and common sense from the sales pitch. Its a difficult balance for most of us; for me , I intend to learn to fly PPG safely and competently.

I started by researching what training was out there, reading 'paramotoring from the ground up' (still re reading it over and over) buying a 1 250k air map and learning to understand it, and then starting my training!

I say wholeheartedly yes we need training, but at what level depends upon the individuals perception of risk, to some no training at all is acceptable, to others the very idea of PPG at all is complete insanity.

As one of my mates said when he found out my pal and I were still motorcyling, my pal was microlighting, whilst I was learning PPG!!!

'I see suicide Saturday is still running!'

(Hence my Avatar; just a bit of fun) Were thinking of having t-shirts printed :lol:

I can see where youre coming from with your posts, but I'm not in a position to comment on low flying and other things until Ive properly got a feel for the sport; one thing I do know though, is if the CAA had been regulating powered flying from the start, the Wright brothers would still be sitting on terra firma sifting through a mountain of paperwork!!

I think PPG is unregulated enough for all sorts of people with vastly differing outlooks to make really big contributions in the developement of equipment, techniques and ideas, and I find the unregulated aspect of the sport refreshing in this increasingly safety obsessed world

hi steve. i too had a few lessons with paddy=brain at selston and bassington. i liked brain and how he showed you the way to fly.i noticed a difference being with paddy very quickly as i also went to another club for training and all they wanted was the money they had nothing to offer me.we all learn the hard way one way or the other.bassington is abit bumpy isnt it steve? with cows sh t everywhere anyway.welcome FROM:0) LAWRENCE ps i spoke to brain at nec

For what it's worth i think that it's better to speak to people who have been trained or going through training for advice on training. Makes sense i think. When i first thought about getting into paramotors, which was about a month ago, i looked through websites and joined this club to speak to people like you lot for advice and not phone up local fly schools. My feeling is they would just sell me the company line to get business, and why not it's their bread and butter. The people on this forum i feel are honest and seem to look out for each other in giving advice, information etc...

Shared interests, hopes and dreams goes a long way in my eyes and i will keep coming back here for help. :D