Help, Reaction or Synthesis

Gilly

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying my first reflex wing in the new year, i currently fly the old Apco thrust. I was just wondering which would be the best wing to go for. The Reaction or the Synthesis?

Could anyone help me in deciding, or let me know what the main differences are between the 2 wings. I see that the Synthesis has more of a sink rate. But is it more safer than the Reaction.

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying my first reflex wing in the new year, i currently fly the old Apco thrust. I was just wondering which would be the best wing to go for. The Reaction or the Synthesis?

Could anyone help me in deciding, or let me know what the main differences are between the 2 wings. I see that the Synthesis has more of a sink rate. But is it more safer than the Reaction.

Hi Gilly. (this is just my opinion of course....)

The synthesis is a CEN C certificate whereas the Reaction is a CEN "peformance" category. This means that the Synthesis has had more "recovery" tests that the Reaction so its behaviour is better documented by the testers. The Synthesis is a later wing and was designed to be for beginners to intermediate whereas the Reaction is designed for intermediate +.

The Synthesis has a slightly worse sink rate than the Reaction and a slower top speed but they have similar "best Glide" ratios. the sink rate difference is not noticeable unless you are trying to out-climb a Reaction.

The Synthesis is a shorter fatter wing (lower aspect ratio) so is potentially more yaw stable (less "spinable") and its deeper chord ("front to back" measurement) makes it potentially more pitch stable (less prone to dive forward in front of you). The reaction is flatter and the Synth more arched so the synth is likely to be more highly pressuried than the Reaction

(making the synth less collapsable on the inner tip if you get your turn wrong) Also the Synth is considerably lighter so less inertia in the wing making recovery from deflation perhaps faster and less likely to occur.

I say "potentially" and do not say these features make the Synthesis "safer" because I believe it is the pilot that makes a wing safe or unsafe, BUT I would say that the Synthesis is likely to prove less "demanding" of pilot input to keep it safe or to recover from a deflation event than the Reaction.

I have flown both and the Synthesis is a very fine wing. It is very manouverable and responsive. It is very fast (compared to a Thrust).

My recommendation is Synthesis if you are looking for pleasure flying and club events. Only if you must have the extra 5 or 6 kph (Dudek say 10 I think, but the Synthesis is faster than they claim) would i say get the Reaction or maybe if you want to compete.

Francis.

PS there are differences in flying a reflex and some things you need to know about how it might behave in certain conditions and what to do in that event. If you buy from a reputable dealer they should give you thorough briefing or you might consider a day's training.

Hi Francis,

Thanks for the reply, Your thoughts are much appreciated, and any advice from a pilot who has flown both types is worth knowing. Im not going to be entering any competitions, just generally flying for a couple of hours from our field. I have been told that when flying the Synthesis, you do use quite a bit more fuel. Have you found this too?

Thanks again.

Fuel consumption....couldnt say on that one as Ive only flown them as demos at Lambourn, an hour or so on each.

Simon will probably know.

I would be surprised if it was massively different, the lift to drag ratios are not much different. Where are you getting your data? It could just be the person making the comparison flew the two wings in different conditions?