The importance of a clean fuel filter

cobra

My friend was having carb trouble on his fresh breeze before his first flight. We cleaned out the carb and blasted compressed air through it. It worked fine for about a minute then bogged up again. On closer inspection we found the filter below. This was a s/h motor, so the last user was flying around with this

dirtyfilter1.jpg

dirtyfilter3.jpg

Paper element filters shouldn't be cleaned- they are disposable.

Compressed air will damage them, possibly perforate them- and you'll only transfer the problem to the carb...

I suspect the user hadn't been following his maintainance schedule... if he hasn't been doing this on the filters... then there are possibley a few other things you should look at - and fast.

Check your manual, and confirm the maintainance schedule... typically it should be

-paper filters- change every 50hrs

-spark plug- change every 40-50 hours

-Carb- clean out after every 20 hours

-Carb- change diagphragm membrane every year

-Fuel system- change pipes every 2 years

Remember.... 2 strokes are simple... but you do need to look after them... with these simple preventative measures, you can avoid that engine out...

My friend was having carb trouble on his fresh breeze before his first flight. We cleaned out the carb and blasted compressed air through it. It worked fine for about a minute then bogged up again. On closer inspection we found the filter below. This was a s/h motor, so the last user was flying around with this

dirtyfilter1.jpg

dirtyfilter3.jpg