STOLEN SKYPE ACCOUNT

All,

I have had my Skype account stolen and Credit withdrawn from my Paypal account (directly from Skype)

The password and E-mail address have been changed, and I can not contact skype without having the history from my account which I cant access.

F knows how this happened.

Just a warning, that it can!!

I have of course now emptied my Paypal account.

SW :D

All,

I have had my Skype account stolen and Credit withdrawn from my Paypal account (directly from Skype)

The password and E-mail address have been changed, and I can not contact skype without having the history from my account which I cant access.

F knows how this happened.

Just a warning, that it can!!

I have of course now emptied my Paypal account.

Really sorry to hear that your Skype account was hijacked Simon, and hope the thieving toerags only had access to limited funds before the problem was discovered.

You have no doubt Google'd this scam already, but many folks don't really how widespread this problem is and how long it has been around.

Read PayPal accounts compromised over 16 months; No response from eBay.

In this case there appeared to have been a Chinese connection, so the timing of this may coincide with recent attacks on your website.

The added problem for victims of this scam is that both PayPal and Skype (until very recently) are owned by eBay, who are notoriously poor at resolving such problems.

It appears that when eBay chose to integrate Skype into their corporate PayPal payment system, some potential exploits resulted. All three companies are now supposedly working hard to "strengthen security", which is worrying bearing in mind how long the problem has been reported. There are also suspicions of an inside job - possibly by disgruntled employees.

Anyway here are some other related threads on the subject (some with interesting links):

*Skype ignores PayPal siphoning hijack scheme (The Register)

*PayPal Skype Complaints - Unauthorized billing! (Complaints Board)

*Skype ignores PayPal siphoning hijack scheme (ZDNet UK Blog)

... plus ~10.1 MILLION other links via Google !!! :shock:

We wait to see if the selling off of Skype will help to improve security around such scam payments...

Meanwhile hope that you are able to recover your Skype account soon Simon.

Andy

Account recovered inside of 2 hours to be fair to Skype.

I had to contact Paypal and argue with them for 1/2 an hour on the phone to say that I never want Skype to be able to take money from my paypal account. (this I was told is not possible) but half an hour later it was done.

I read something on a forum that said it happens to 2000+ people EVERY DAY!!!!.