ROS 125 Spark plug thread

alanhinsaudi

I had a problem with my engine this weekend. My pre-flight check did not reveal any issues and there was no noticeable problem in the air but during the post flight check I noticed the spark plug was loose. When I tried to remove the spark plug to check it, it became very tight and it was obviously cross threaded. I know it wasn't cross threaded when I checked the plug during the last engine 5 hourly checks carried out about 31/2 hours ago and therefore the thread must have become damaged due to the plug being loose. When I eventually removed the plug the thread was completely gone and I have to get the cylinder head repaired. I'm not a two stroke expert so is this a common problem or is it a 'one off' problem. I ask the question to determine if I should buy a spare cylinder head in case it happens again.

I had a problem with my engine this weekend. My pre-flight check did not reveal any issues and there was no noticeable problem in the air but during the post flight check I noticed the spark plug was loose. When I tried to remove the spark plug to check it, it became very tight and it was obviously cross threaded. I know it wasn't cross threaded when I checked the plug during the last engine 5 hourly checks carried out about 31/2 hours ago and therefore the thread must have become damaged due to the plug being loose. When I eventually removed the plug the thread was completely gone and I have to get the cylinder head repaired. I'm not a two stroke expert so is this a common problem or is it a 'one off' problem. I ask the question to determine if I should buy a spare cylinder head in case it happens again.

its very rare for it to happen on any engine, fortunately its easy to get it helicoiled and being a 2 stroke you only have to remove the head, if it were a four stroke you would have to remove the valve train too.

its very rare for it to happen on any engine, fortunately its easy to get it helicoiled and being a 2 stroke you only have to remove the head, if it were a four stroke you would have to remove the valve train too.

and dont forget to fit a new head gasket and torque the head bolts up correctly.