Fields in Beds or Herts

Marek

Hi everyone,

I started a paramotor course with Paul Taylor (AV8ER) over in Byfield at the beginning of this (so called) summer. As I live in Dunstable it's a good hour's drive to get to his field so it's not worth doing (with fuel prices the way they are) unless there's a really good chance of getting instructor time and flying weather. Unfortunately, that has been in woefully short supply and I've only managed about 5 sessions all year. Because of the infrequency of my practicing I haven't managed to get any consistency in my ground handling technique and haven't even got in the air yet. :oops:

There are days like this weekend, for example, when Paul is off with the flu and I'm stuck at home even though the weather is perfect because I haven't got anywhere within a reasonable distance to practice safely and privately on the wing he's lent me. The downs round here would be ideal but they are either taken up with flying clubs or gangs of hoodies. :evil:

Could anyone help me out? I need a field that's not too far from Dunstable where I could take my canopy and just practice. At the moment I'm still just trying to get my ground handling sorted out.

Many thanks, Marek

You could do what I did, and go and have a chat with a local farmer. Explain what you're doing, and ask him if there are any fields that he would consider letting you use. Stuble, set aside, pasture that's resting all provide opportunities. I'm lucky that the first farmer I approached was incredibly co-operative, I could hardly believe it. I now have field that give me an into-wind take off no matter what the wind direction, and a downhill slope on some of them, which can be a bonus.

A small gift at Christmas might just help keep things sweet for the coming year, and the fact you have third part insurance can help swing it.

Marek,

Sounds like a polish name?

I have shooting rights over some 250acres. Although some parts are crop there is a part that I think is being rested this year.

I am concidering flying from it?

I will let you know when I speak with the farmer?

Its 5 minutes off J12 M1?

Mike

Thanks to both of you who replied.

Sounds like a silly question but how do I find a local farmer!?

Marek is a Polish name. My grandparents on my mothers side are polish. It used to be quite unusual! Anyway, comes in handy these days being able to speak the language :lol:

Just off junction 12 would be ideal for me so I'd be really grateful if you could let me know Mike. Coincidentally I'm just trying to get a shotgun licence sorted out too.

Thanks.

Marek