Line replacement.

Guest brightfish

Hi Joe,

Its fairly easy to do yourself on most wings. Give the Loft or Aerofix? a shout and tell them the wing details and the line required they will make a line the correct length and post it to you then just swap out the broken line for the new one. Always do one line at a time and you can use the matching lines on the other side to make sure that the knots all match. Then take it for a ground handle to make sure it flies as it should and the right lines are in the right place. Thats about it.

Hope that helps .

Cheers Col.

Then restretch all the lines before doing the work. The inner core doesn't shrink, it's the sheathing that does. The Cs and Ds will require more than the As and Bs. I have a spring scale as sold on ebay for anglers to weigh their fish. I then tie the risers to a tree and sequentially apply 20kg of contant pull for about 20 seconds to each line from the wing end without putting any load on the attachment point at the wing. You should feel the extension if there is shrinkage already present.

Yes! And that is quite likely. You need check the new line against the matching one on the other side. It is quite likely the old one will be shorter. You dont say which line but if it is D or C it could be up to 4 cm difference. Whenever I replace a line I always strectch all the lines.

I also stretch my lines twice a season when I repack my reserves and do full kit overhaul.

Then restretch all the lines before doing the work. The inner core doesn't shrink, it's the sheathing that does. The Cs and Ds will require more than the As and Bs. I have a spring scale as sold on ebay for anglers to weigh their fish. I then tie the risers to a tree and sequentially apply 20kg of contant pull for about 20 seconds to each line from the wing end without putting any load on the attachment point at the wing. You should feel the extension if there is shrinkage already present.

heheh wot he sed!.....

and I would add... check each stretched line against its opposite number on the other wing to ensure symetry.

Thanks for the tip, I was thinking about sending it off to get repaired but doing it yourself the way you suggest sounds like a good thing to learn.

By the way Francis, it's one off the A's that needs replacing.

Cheers

Joe

Cut one line and nicked another on Sunday. Phoned Aerofix yesterday, told them what wing and what lines were required. The replacements were delivered today (£6.50 each).

I laid the wing out on the ground and traced the route of the line, then removed the old line and fitted the new ones.

Followed the exact same routing through the maillon and 'O' ring and everything was done in ten minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've just ordered and received a couple of replacement lines for my Parawing but the lines are slightly smaller in diameter than the originals. Aerofix told me that this is due to the

sheathing on different manufacturers lines which can make the line look quite

different and that the strength of these lines will be fine. I don't really like the idea of having 2 thinner lines on the glider as it will look a bit odd!

Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks

Joe

No Never!

Sound VERY odd to me?

Send them back, and call the manufacturer.

Thats just Boll** in my opinion. The strength I agree, indeed it is likely to be the same but, if only from a drag point of view they should be the same...

if not, just to be... well, the same!?

Ask youself this...

How much has your wing dropped in value with odd lines, thats what the discount should be.

IMHO

SW :D

I must admit I thought it was a bit strange but never replacing a line before I wasn't sure if this was common place especially on older wings like mine. I'll send them back.

As I don't speak French I can't call the manufacturers but I'll try the Loft.

Joe