Using wing on lower end of weight range?

Hi.

I only weigh 60kg and finding it real hard to find a second hand wing to suit my size.

I have found a size 26 revo wing which is rated @ 70-90 kg or 70-150kg for ppg. At a rough guess i would say I'm at about 110kg all up weight with fuel, reserve, etc..

Summer ain't here much longer and i would like to get back in the air before its to late this year.

I don't intend on using the wing without a motor.

What would be the positive/negative effects of being in the low end of the weight range ?

TIA.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, Francis is your man and he may pop in here to give you some well qualified advice.

Working at the lower end of the weight range does introduce factors that are potentially less than positive. You are right to be researching the subject and I am sure that our learned friend will have words of wisdom for you soon.

Short answer? 26 is right for you.

stats are naked pilot weight 56kg, in flight weight 65 to 85kg producing a wing loading of 2.7 kg/ms

on paramotor the weight range is 60 to 150 kg. So at 110kg all up weight you are perfect.

I have recently been flying a 26 in boisterous air at between 120kg and 105kg (fuel full/empty). I found the craft performed very well with no instability issues at all. (such that I never had to see its recovery characteristics!)_

I was very impressed with th performance at fast trim settings.

Being lightly loaded on a wing seems to be more a non-reflex issue where recovery from instability can be delayed if lightly loaded. But even if you fly the 26 without the motor you are still well up the placarded weight range.

Ok not so short;-)

The long answer involves DMSV 8G load testing and CEN certification blah blah so will refrain unless asked for more.

PS get it from the horses mouth, email pascal or mike campbell-jones with your enquiry and start a dialogue with the designer.

skype name m-cj.projects

http://flyparamania.com/index2.php?opti ... form&id=21

Edited by Guest

Thanks Norman.

I thought a possible positive may be easier forward launches in low wind, but then that could also make it overpowering in heavier wind ?

I'm a noob so I will await the wisdom and experience of Francis.

Another possibility is to have my current wing repaired. It has a 6" tear right on the seam of where one of the A riser lines attach. (a good yank from one of the lines getting caught in the prop) :oops:

I don't know the price of such a repair and if it would be worth it. Besides being 10kg under weight for the wing anyway.

Anyone have the contact details for Loft?

Thanks.

Wayne

Thanks for the info guys.

http://www.theloftworkshop.co.uk/pgrepairs.html was what i was looking for.

I went to p@r@2000 to check out the weight specs before posting . I'm still thinking to myself how i missed the naked weight :?

As you can see by my post timing i got sidetracked hence my post after Francis replied.

Now i have another decision to make. Ive found 2 wings, both have only done about 1 hour. One is the revo 26 and the other is a synthesis 27.(inflight weight 80/105 kg. Is this ok ?) 29 also available.

Any unbiased opinions on the 2? Ive noticed the synthesis has a EN C rating whilst the revo has NIL.

I'm also looking to do many hours on the wing so don't want to outgrow it!

Thanks.

Wayne

EDIT: just to confuse matters.

Para2000 specs state 60/85 kg In-Flight-Weight (Paramotor 60/150kg) but http://flyparamania.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=34 state 70/90kg (Paramotor 70/150kg)

Hi.

Summer ain't here much longer and i would like to get back in the air before its to late this year.

TIA.

Wayne

You can fly all year round you know! It may be a little colder in the winter months but the air is more stable and you can get some great smooth flights all through the day and on snowy or frosty days the scenery looks fantastic, i've had some great flights outside the summer months.

NB Para 2000 org is a great site but please remember it is created by "the community" and whilst they try to get it right can sometimes be out of date or give the wrong figures. Its a great place to do general comparisons but the manufacturers site has the accurate info. In that regard you should know that The Revo 26 and 28 both have an EN C certificate and also a DMSV B certificate. This is identical certification to the synthesis (para2000 needs updating). Dont forget not all sizes have been certified so check with the manufacturer or dealer that your size has a cert.

If you want a definitive answer re sizing of the Revo email paramania at the address I posted before. For Synthesis advice on sizing and use contact the importer Mr Clive Bunce, http://dudekparagliders.co.uk +447736553834. Both these are eminently approachable and will welcome your enquiry.

My own feeling is that the Revo 26 and the Synthesis 27 are the two that are your size and most closely comparable. The synthesis is 0.2 sq mtre smaller but is pulled into a tighter radius with slightly longer lines. This would likely make the Revo a little more agile and the synthesis might seem more "stable". But in truth I have flown both and found them both excellent wings of their type.

The ENC classification only applies to these wings when flown with trims set to slow and only when flown within the smaller weight range (those are the test parameters) if you fly it up to its higher placarded weight range you are flying a wing with the DMSV B certification. None of this means that the wing is more or less "dangerous/safe" simply that its behaviour has only been trested and reported on between these limits. You can see the test report at the manufacturers site and on the para2000 site. They make valuable reading.

I feel you can be confident that the Revo 26 or the Synth 27 will be "your wing" and that you will be best served in these sizes.