Gin Zulu

Lloyd

The Zulu is not specifically a paramotor wing. But the Zulu manual says

"Motorized flight

Paraglider certification does not include motorized flight. However, motorized flying with the

Zulu is possible due to its very easy take-off characteristics, good performance, stability and

extraordinarily good handling."

http://flight.manual.free.fr/gin-zulu_uk.pdf

The Gin glider specifically for motorised flight is the Gofly, which is a BoleroPlus with trimmers and marketed by Paramania.

The zulu, like most DHV 1-2 gliders will fly well enough with a motor but will be more susceptible to front tuck at speed as it has no trim tabs to bring the centre of pressure forward as the angle of attack lowers.

It would be good if you want to use a light motor for getting up and thermalling. You would find it slow if you wanted to motor-cruise unless you got a small one, then you would find landings in light winds "exciting".

The zulu is a very good free flight wing that can be used for motoring, I would say.

Would you in your personal opinion be more inclined to stick to a paramotoring wing for powered flight and same with paragliding wing for free flight or do you think a wing for both would be best, this is of course if someone could afford both?

In other words two wings, one for each type of flight or one for both, a hybrid wing maybe(Excuse wording).

But im guessing people probably end up going for one or the other ... paramotoring or paragliding

My advice is to choose the "main" sport and buy the wing for that , then make do with it for the other.

A Paramania revolution is a very good motor wing and will fly ok as a pg wing. But if you want a better pg wing go for a swing powerplay, which is really an Arcus with power risers or a Paramania Gofly which is a gin bolero with power risers. Both these are proven pg wings with great safety and flight records in pg.

My own "main arm" is paragliding and I like to fly a slower soaring wing even when paramotoring. I like to get up and switch off. If I wanted to go for a xc on the motor with a bunch of pilots I would get left behind. If a head wind got up I would struggle.

a hybrid wing if there is such a thing would bea compromise between different design objectives.

If you are mainly into PG the Powerplay/Arcus or the GoFly/Bolero . Although the zulu would make a better PG wing than these two, but may be a little more "exciting" when flown with a motor (I dont know about this as I havent flown this combination but it is a "high-end" Dhv 1-2 where the other two are lower rated)

If you have a particular zulu in mind? we could have a go and see what its like? or if you go to John Welch he will advise you.

The Revolution probably has the biggest approved weight range of any wing in paramotoring use. This is well worth bearing in mind as there would be approximately 30kg difference in weight between your PG and PM all up weight. On many other wings trying to use one wing as a jack-of-all-trades wing can end up with you being uncomfortably at the low end of the weight range when free-flying unless you ballast it up (which you don't want to do on weak lift days).

I understand the revolution has a wide weight range to accomodate for both the pilot and motor, but if for instance i wanted a zulu what weight range would be best to go for? I weigh about 80kg's and i think a small goes from 70 - 90 and a medium 85 - 105. If i was to get this wing for paragliding and MAYBE motoring which one would you guys say would be the best?

• 1 month later...
Have any of you guys used or using a Gin Zulu for a paramotoring wing? Is this a good wing to do paramotoring with?
Yes, only six short flights to date but had no problems,all reverse launch with very easy inflation, I fitted the shorter gin supplied risers (northern paragliders) which are more suitable for my fresh breeze paramotor. They have two fitting positions one for free flying and the other for power. regards John Wallace

I understand the revolution has a wide weight range to accomodate for both the pilot and motor, but if for instance i wanted a zulu what weight range would be best to go for? I weigh about 80kg's and i think a small goes from 70 - 90 and a medium 85 - 105. If i was to get this wing for paragliding and MAYBE motoring which one would you guys say would be the best?

Don not fly under weight.

You are better to be over weight as there will be more pressure in the wing and therefore more resistant to collapse

Pete b 8)