How much land is enough?

I am looking for a couple of holiday cottages in France, an investment I suppose. I'm thinking that it would be nice to be able to use the land to fly from if I should go there and also that it might be an idea to promote the cottages to paramotorists. So... the question is "how much land do I need"? Of course I know that I don't want power lines or main roads or big trees and all that but if I can find a large level site how much land is enough.

My own thoughts are that a ten acre field would be the minimum and would give me plenty of room should I need to forward launch and land in rough air but am I being overly cautious? I know I have taken off and landed on about an acre without any problems but if I was renting a cottage billed as a good place to fly from I'd expect more than one acre I think.

So... Thoughts gentleman please? Assume a square plot and a cottage just outside the field. Just looking for a rough idea from those with more experience than me (thats most of you).

Cheers,

Derek

Derek,

if it helps I recall coming across some info whilst trawling the www that suggested that a safe site should be the size of 2 football pitches. I'm pretty sure that it was an American site so I guess that would be football rather than soccer. Just how big that is and how it would translate to acres I've no idea.

Good luck with the project.

Ken.