Parajet Volution Fuel Line Fault

spider

I’ve suffered from engine running problem for months, all be it not that many flights due to time of year. This started with the engine repeatedly cutting out at ¾ / max revs, which was initially solved by replacing a split exhaust coupling rubber and a Carb overhaul. However, I then had loss of full throttle power. I then spent weeks, days & hours in the garage, annoyed the neighbours, replaced the Carb for a new one, bypassed the filters in turn, dismantled the head and generally fiddled with everything else I could think of, all to no avail.

Rang Parajet today, to purchase some spares and spoke to Gilo. Within minutes, a solution to my problem was suggested which proved to be the cause.

Where the fuel pipe exits the tank and enters the frame, the pipe had become bent at 90 degrees within the frame caused by a rubber sheath over the fuel pipe, which protects the pipe through the frame. Due to its length inside the frame, and presumably not helped by me pulling on the fuel pipe during my investigations removing / fitting the filter, the pipe had become permanently deformed. Same corrected and full power restored.

All I need now is some good weather !

Thanks to all those I spoke to, whilst pulling my hair out, (not that I’ve got much up there).

Just wished I’d spoke to Gilo earlier. Great Parajet service. Many thanks.

Geoff

:D

Thanks for posting this info Geof. And great to know you've sorted the problem. thought it would be fuel starvation but could not think how. Was the kink inside the frame or at the entry point?

Inside the frame.

At the tank end, around the fuel pipe is a rubber cover which is secured at the tank connector and runs around the fuel pipe into the frame, protecting the fuel pipe from the frame. (Something a grommet could have done equally well) This cover seemed to be excessively long, extending into the frame by over 1/2 inch. The fuel pipe had became bent at 90 degrees where the pipe exited the rubber cover and begun its run up the inside of the frame.

I reduced the length of the protective rubber cover, so that it only extended a few mm into the frame and ensured that the fuel pipe now had a radial bend in it.

Regards,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Full power restored - so I thought , until I tried it in anger !! Spent another day last week trying to get off the ground with intermittent full power. In hindsight, glade I never did !

Another week fiddling and trawling the internet, resulted in me finally inspecting the exhaust system. Having taken off the silencer, found it rattled. Dismantled it to find loose baffle due to loose packing. Upon further investigation found inlet end virtually blocked by the packing being totally black, oily & compacted. Later, due to vibration of baffle ?

Silencer repacked and this time full power immediately restored. Decided to not publish this final end to my problem until I actually tested it flying !

Done it today. Flew for 80mins without any problems. (all be it slowly with my Mojo !)

End of a saga.

Geoff :D

• 2 weeks later...

The parajet motors are great, and the back up service is excellent. I say this as l had a little teething trouble with my first, sent it back to Parajet and now the Macro l have flies and operates superbly. Just waiting for this weather to settle so l can get in the air again.

Regards Mike :D