Cylinder head Temp Gauge

Hi All,

Has any one made their own CHT?

What Gauge did you use?

What thermocouple did you use?

Where did you get the bits from?

How much were they?

Did it work?

the wiring is dead simple, I'm just wondering if any one has done the same?

Cheers!

Woody

Auber 12v digital thermo-guage (ebay, USA about £30) They measure about 4" x 1 1/2" x 3/4" and can record maximum levels, trigger an alarm etc. Thermocouple, home made, bit of copper sheet drilled to plug size with tabs that could fold over and clamp the wire which was a couple of quid off ebay again. Ends of the wire were welded together using a 12v battery although it will work if you just twist them (you can't solder them). Thermocouple plug/socket makes it easy to detach.

I May have one of the Auber gauges surplus to requirements if you are interested. They will happily read up to EGT levels too with a suitable probe.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a spark plug ring type Dave.

Incidentally, if it is, I've had very good results using a cylinder head bolt on the exhaust port side of the head rather than the spark plug. That way you don't have to worry about disturbing it every time you take a plug out.

My only criticism of that gauge is that the resolution isn't great, i.e. you'd have a bit of a job telling the difference between say 220 degrees and 240, especially if you were being bounced in flight. Coupled with the relatively slow response of a CHT as opposed to an EGT, you might not know about a problem till too late.

I'm not into gadgets atall really but like the cyl head bolt idea for ease of fitting, and, as you say, not using the plug, which is sometimes removed. My exhaust colour is good and only slows change right near the exhaust port. I have a point and squirt thermometer but am not sure if tis accurate. Dont like running the engine on the ground much either.

I dont run it lean on the high screw. Not at full power often anyway. But I do run lean on the low screw, to increase autonomy. Does anyone know if there is much risk of piston melt at quarter throttle?

Dave

I would suggest not, as from what I've seen with both CHT & EGT, as soon as you back off any distance from full throttle, the temperatures drop quite dramatically from their peaks, as little as a 500 rpm drop from peak on my solo brought the CHT down by about 40 degrees Celsius.

Thanks Phil. That's reassuring, and as I thought. Just tried the special 2 blade Helix on ol Flattie and it doesn't over rev even at 3-1 / 1 reduction. It's a 1-30 m same as my 3 blade but much more pitch and ticks over faster, so less drag perhaps? And less torque steer with maybe a touch more thrust at full bore. Gotta say it dont feel as smooth and the noise is totally different. Picks up faster for those snappy power turns too. :o)

Nice breeze tonight, so did loads of touch and goes, and taxi-ing near stall at half throttle. Great fun !

Dave