EN-B wing for a heavy pilot

notch

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new wing after spending a year on a nova rookie (32m). It's been a great first wing, and never has made me nervous.

However, after getting left at the end of the pack at a recent fly-in, would really like a bit more speed, so I guess I'm looking at a reflex.

I'm thinking of the Revo 2 or the Airflex, but at 105kg I can't help but wondering if 28m is gonna make nill wind even more difficult. :fail:

I know Dudek have larger sizes available but they all seem to be EN-C rated.

Any suggestions?

-N

I'm in the process of learning at the moment, but I was recommended (& have subsequently bought & flown) a Dudek Synthesis. On the face of it not rated as a starter wing but it definately IS. They are rated C due to trim states, which TBH I still haven't fully got my head around.

The website explains it here: http://www.dudek.eu/en/classification/

Confuses me too but could be worth checking further if you wanted to buy a Dudek

Hope this helps

Phil

Just looking at the cert reports, a lightly loaded Nucleon 34 seems to have no 'C' ratings, just 'B's.

A lightly loaded Synth 34 still has 3 'C' ratings.

Does this make the nucleon a safer option? Not sure I'm quite ready for a "world champ" wing!

I know the Synth is not as responsive as the Nucleon etc, however I would think it would be worth asking someone with more knowledge of the wings than I have.

I bought mine from Steve Haze (my instructor), so it may be worth giving him a shout as he sells the wings & has a good working knowledge of them so he will be able to answer your questions a lot better than I can. Google learntoparamotor.com for his contact details.

I know the Synth is not as responsive as the Nucleon etc, .

They are rated C due to trim states, which TBH I still haven't fully got my head around.

Confuses me too but could be worth checking further if you wanted to buy a Dudek

Does this make the nucleon a safer option? Not sure I'm quite ready for a "world champ" wing!

Its quite simple really - they are equally safe when flown in calm conditions with gentle pilot inputs. Although the Synth may be less responsive, it is more forgiving for a heavier handed pilot so less likely to get a beginner into trouble.

The EN rating measures the wings reaction and recovery to specific 'problems' such as collapses, spins etc, once they have been induced. It does NOT measure how resistant a wing is to collapses in the first place. The Synth has fewer cells and a lower aspect ratio than the Nucleon, which generally makes a wing more collapse resistant - although both are rock solid in flight and would need quite severe conditions to unsettle them.

One thing to remember is most wings (particularly reflex) are only certified with trimmers closed, and become totally uncertified when flown with open trimmers (full reflex mode) as even though this generally makes them more collapse resistant (safer) if something did happen the resulting reaction could be very dramatic.

PS - I think you might be near the top of the Revo 2 weight range at 105kg unless you have a very light motor. Despite the marketing hype the sink rate and glide are quite poor at this weight on a 29m wing and you may prefer the larger sizes of the Synthesis. I know someone selling a cheap 30m Revolution though wich may be a good compromise, as it is a great first reflex wing.