Any reviews of the Synergy 5?

fuzzybabybunny

Compared to Blackhawk and Air Conception and Miniplane, I can hardly find any user reviews or video reviews of the Synergy 5 paramotor. I can't find any videos of the breakdown of the unit either. 

I really like the idea behind it and how it can be broken down to fit into a single suticase. The petrol tank closer to your body plus the option to add a fuel bladder for extended range look awesome. 

Plus the APCO harness can be removed for freeflight?

PLUS it can be made to fit practically any engine?

• 2 weeks later...

the spars are adapted telescopic walking poles made from aluminium. Could upgrade to graphite carbon poles. The main hoop is miniplane style bendy fibre, The military spec fuel tank bladder is very tough and durable and sandwiched between the back plate and engine plate. The green alloy engine plate is pre-drilled for a choice of engines or drill your own mounts. The green alloy weight shift arms have a very simple system to hook up the harness, no D shackle required.

It weighs about the same as a zenith chassis although it is future upgradeable, as in the stainless tank panels could be replaced with carbon sheet, as said the walking poles replaced with carbon saving some weight. The poles being telescopic help it fold down to tiny suitcase dimensions. Great paramotor for travelling. A bit basic in construction but very effective, great for DIY'er to be self sufficient.

Thumb activated throttle is again basic but very effective. A neat design solution for holding brakes while using a throttle. Adjustable apco slt harness.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the explanation and the photos. 

- Do the telescoping arms slip? On some cheaper hiking poles the locking mechanism slips when weight is applied, necessitating readjustment and retightening. If I fell on my side I suspect the poles locks might slip.

- If one of the swing arms sheared off mid-flight, is there a soft connection between the harness and risers that would catch you can avoid catastrophic failure? I've spoken to a previous owner whose friend had a J-bar version of the Synergy and somehow the riser attachment point "slipped off" the J-bar, leading to a fall.

- How do the weight shift arms differ from the S-shaped arms on the Air Conceptions and Miniplanes?

- Is the APCO harness quick to disconnect? APCO says this harness can also be used for freeflying?

Edited by fuzzybabybunny

Gah.... and sorry to do this, but would you mind weighing the unit with and without harness? I've been contacting Claude but even though I asked him for the weight of the unit minus the motor he replied with "it's ~50lb with the SNAP 110," which doesn't help, and it doesn't specify if there's a harness or not. 

I think what Claude is really interested in is just selling tandem rides and making videos of his tandem rides. Completely different vibe compared to a company like Blackhawk or Parajet that seems to want to focus on the equipment. And even more different from companies like Backbone that seems to not focus on anything and has a website that looks like it was last updated in the 90s.

Edited by fuzzybabybunny

Yes, I don't buy the weight claims. More pictures here > https://flic.kr/s/aHskxvsotv

I just weighed it. 

Complete chassis as my pictures with fuel tank, weight shift attached, walking spars, netting, hoop, covers etc. everything but the harness and engine. 9.9kg

the apco harness 2.5kg

I have a spare ultimate engine which is 10.5kg add on 800grams of prop with bolts. that would make 11.3kg

9.9+2.5+11.3 = 23.7kg ready to fly with an ultimate 130 engine. top80 would be a little more, eos a little less. polini add 2kg ish. Its typical for companies to tell you the weight without a harness or taking the harness weight from the brochure.

The way the harness hooks into the alloy weight shift is easy but was not likely to slip out, it took some wiggling to remove it. No back up straps as standard, but something easily added. The walking poles do not slip, but in a fall I guess an impact could move them. I would say thats a good thing as would save a breakage. 

While I have a 130 engine to put in, it is belt drive and the miniplane style hoop chassis I think suits a clutch engine better for safer forward launching.

If you were interested, this chassis is available at half price or less. Its sitting here not being used.

With suggested carbon parts I think a kg or more could be taken off at minimal cost.

The design is very clever and simple. The main black bar behind the shoulders is all the structure. The spars and weight shift attach to this and its a beefy bit of alloy. This lends me to thinking the upright channel could be replaced with pre-fabricated carbon box tube, split to make 2 channels. the stainless front a rear plate which covers the fuel tank replaced with prefab carbon or carbon foam laminate. £20 a sheet. The walking spars carbon tube £20 each. The structure remains yet the weight is reduced. I may still do that if time allows or with increased motivation. With the internal fuel tank, its a bonus for fitting in a suit case. 

Cool, thanks a lot for the info! Bugger, why can't manufacturers just be straight-up and clear about their item weights and such?!

Considering the frame + harness weighs 12.4kg and the Polini Thor 130 is 15.4kg, the whole kit would be 27.8kg, NOT the "Weighs only 23Kg with Polini 130" as it says on their website. Even without the APCO harness the total weight would be 25.3kg, which is still NOT 23kg and in no shape to actually fly.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/24/2016 at 4:05 AM, fuzzybabybunny said:

Compared to Blackhawk and Air Conception and Miniplane, I can hardly find any user reviews or video reviews of the Synergy 5 paramotor. I can't find any videos of the breakdown of the unit either. 

I really like the idea behind it and how it can be broken down to fit into a single suticase. The petrol tank closer to your body plus the option to add a fuel bladder for extended range look awesome. 

Plus the APCO harness can be removed for freeflight?

PLUS it can be made to fit practically any engine?

www.SYNERGYparamotors.com

90993137-4783-47CF-9EB4-88D022CC3EE2.heic