Ozone Viper 4 New Wing

Hi Folks,

Heard about NEW wing by Ozone Viper4.

I'm curious to know what type of improvements Ozone is bringing with this new wing :)

See Hernan Pitocco's post in FB, he's now Ozone's test pilot (Left Sol paragliders)

"https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1757091104521568&set=a.1416120595285289.1073741831.100006620857226&type=3&theater"

Cheers,

Silvio

• 1 month later...

Folks, now is official:

- Good features.

- I don't like the colors offered by Ozone, with gray in the leading edge.

- Who knows how much I have to pay for asking changes in the color??

"...

Replacing the successful Viper 3 the Viper 4 is a versatile wing intended for both classic and slalom competition flying. Like to the Viper 3, the Viper 4 is designed for advanced pilots only and thanks to its 3-line design, optimized unsheathed lines and new advanced profile, pushes efficiency and performance to higher levels. In thermal conditions its behavior is similar to a free flight paragliding wing with very progressive, intuitive handling and exceptional climb and glide performance.

The Viper 4 is also very suitable for dynamic and pure slalom competition flying, the top speed is higher than the Viper 3 with higher levels of stability throughout the speed range. Featuring updated risers with a built in PK system, a 2D steering system as well as additional pulleys to install a special steering system specifically designed for competition slalom flying.

The PK system directly connects the accelerator and trim systems which increases the top speed with more direct action, so the accelerator travel remains the same.

In 2D steering system, brake line and tip steering line (TST) are connected to the main brake handles.

This system allows for complete control of the trailing edge, pulling only the tip lines (TST), only the center of the trailing edge, or both together.

The Slalom steering system is for serious competition flying. Developed and tested by Alex Mateos for many years now, it is the only system which guarantees maximum safety during pure slalom flying.

Learning from successful Sirocco and Spyder, we decided to use light weight fabric on the bottom surface. Reducing the overall weight of the sail gives improved handling, greater feel in the air, lighter ground maneuvering and an incredibly easy inflation.

Viper 4 sizes: 14* / 16 / 18 / 20 / 22 / 24

*for competition pilots only, special orders.

Tech spec: tbc

Certification: Load test / DGAC

Available to order: May 2016

..."

• 2 months later...
On 27/04/2016 at 2:47 PM, morgy said:

I personally like the new colours!

Can't wait for my 18m to turn up..

Hi Morgy,

are you still ordering V4 18m?

By V4 design specs, it has been changed since V3. And, according to Emilia, Size 18 is a medium size for pilots weighing 90Kg!

I'm 75Kg, and so, it seems, size 16m would best fit for me, if following Ozone's recommendation for XC!!

regards,

Hi 

I have my 18m Viper 4 and it allowed me to gain 2nd at the UK open.. Amazing performance speed eco and agility, Im around 110kg all up 69kg pilot and find the 18m a good size for all round flying, I've not had the opportunity to thermal it for free fly it yet,  

The Viper 4 reverse launches in very light winds and feels super stable when it's rough, even on full bar.. weight ranges to me are just a guide, It will depend what you want the wing for... But the extra glide and efficiency from this wing will allow you to fly smaller sizes for the same fuel burn.. Find your local dealer and go and test fly one before buying. 

Guest chrisg547

Whats the life expectancy of the Viper 4 now that it is made from much lighter weight materials? I've heard that it doesn't seem to have much effect (certainly if you don't keep it that long i.e. 1 to 2 years), then on the other hand that they won't last as long as other wings.

Its hard to decipher the truth from fiction (depending which side of the agenda you are coming from). 

The Viper 4 only has the lighter material on the lower surface, most of the UV depletion will occur on the top.. I guess with all light weight gliders it will depend on where to take off and land.  I am not an expert on the materials and there life span i guess time will tell... 

Guest chrisg547

Like everything I guess there are pay offs and I realise they aren't aimed at the average pilot. But I really like the sound of them but would have to have a bit more concrete data from Ozone as they are not cheap and I'd be looking to keep one for a while.

what exact info are you after?  Life span of a glider will depend where you live and where you fly... living in say Thailand your glider will die much quicker.. but Uk pilots don't really have to worry about UV depletion. I'm not sure how Ozone would give a life span on a glider?  Also the way you treat your wing will have a huge effect, packing and storing dry also packing lightly in a stuff sack will increase the Life span.. 

If your after Speed data, RPM vs Speed and fuel burn feel free to drop me a message 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, morgy said:

Absolutely loving this wing... the efficiency truly Amazing... 

Flew over 255km and won the Icarus X race in 5hours 30mins and never had to stop for fuel while others had at least two fuel stops!!! 

Brilliant!

Any chance of a small summary as to how you achieved this Morgy?

What engine did you use (guessing Macfly 250) and how much thermalling and /or engine off time compared to using the engine.....or are you keeping that a trade secret.

Once again, congratulations.

Cheers.

19 hours ago, rsquared said:

Brilliant!

Any chance of a small summary as to how you achieved this Morgy?

What engine did you use (guessing Macfly 250) and how much thermalling and /or engine off time compared to using the engine.....or are you keeping that a trade secret.

Once again, congratulations.

Cheers.

Mac Fly250 running standard jets,18m Viper 4. No thermal flying... A bit of dolphin flying but no engine off. 

Edited by morgy

• 3 weeks later...

I got the loan of a new viper 3 last year and did not really like it. I own a Paramania GTX 24. Is the new Viper 4 a good bit different from the three? I am asking this as was looking for a wing with same speed as the GTX but a bit more fuel efficient. Is there other wings I should be looking at trying

• 2 months later...

hmm i have a viper 3 wing.. its ok.. but for the amount ive paid i expect better... the brake toggles magnets are too weak. hence why ozone put stronger magnets on the viper 4... now i ask myself this if the wing is tested by ozones experts.why didnt they find out the magnets are weak.? later i found out that the viper 3 is said to be fast?..  how fast is fast?  my question is..  is it faster then the ozone speedster? no the speedster is faster... and is the speedster a expert wing?   now the ozone viper 4. how fast is this wing? or is the new ozone speedster 2 faster then the viper 4?  the viper 3 oscillates. in the manual it doesnt mention anything to do with oscillation... or any advisement.. does the viper 4 oscillate?  oh .. i for got. having unsheathed lines...the lines will wear quicker then sheathed lines.this i know.. mine are wearing or worn.. as iam writing this down £3,000.00 pounds est for a expert wing....that to me. i expect far better quality wing that costs   around £3,000.00 pounds    my review. (personnel)  then i read jeff goins review on the viper3   no mention at all on the weak magnets...  so why put stronger magnets on the viper 4 ?? and jeff goin supposed to be a expert?.......    question silvioduate?  are you a wing salesman?... just wondered?  gr002  quote" Is there other wings I should be looking at trying "  from what your asking... dont you know what your looking for? are you a expert? or novice?.. if novice then look at novice wings.. think as wings as cars same things to check over,,,,  try having afew demos youll learn the easy way or the hard way depending on your experience......... i have 1,000 hours on paramotors iam not a novice...   and i ent no jeff goin..    ;0)

Edited by TONYPARAMOTOR

I have a lot more than a 1000 hours flying and have been doing this for over thirteen year. Living in the north of Scotland I do not see a lot of people flying other wings. I am looking for a wing for long xc flights that might burn less petrol than my Paramania GTX 24. I think I have to demo a few wings to find what I am looking for, was just looking for advise to shorten the list . I have organised a demo of a Nivuik Kougar 2 when I see weather improving. I also found the Viper 3 slower than the Speedster, but am still interested in the New Speedster 2 or Viper 4. Wing loading makes a big difference to handling but must make a difference to economy too and this is where I struggle to get any information

I do have a You tube channel you can find it by searching " Gordon Robertson Paramotor "  I have watched your paramotoring videos on you tube.

The reason for looking for a more efficient wing is fuel can be hard to find in the highlands and on the west coast of Scotland and super unleaded will not be available. I will still keep my GTX 24 and GTR 22 as these wings are so much fun and easy to launch.

I have to say that the older magnets were a little weak, BUT i never found them a problem at all. I actually like them, While thermaling or ridge soaring with my motor off i like the low force it take to get the handles off the magnets... 

Tony.. If you had been informed by your dealer correctly he would/should have told you the Viper 3 and the Viper 4 is not a "fast" wing, It is a High end high performance wing. Most people get confused with high performance and fast ;-)...  The Viper 3 is a high end wing for experienced pilots who wish to do XC/thermal/ridge style flying it is very efficient and glides on and on... The viper 4 is a High end classic and slalom comp wing. It is more efficient than the Viper 3 IMO but has loads more agility making it great for Slalom style. but is Not fast 65kph on my 18m... Some pilots would class 65 as fast other don't ;-)

The speedster, speedster 2 are faster than the Viper 3/4 if you want 'Faster' still try the Ozone Slalom 75kph on my 16m @ 115kg all up

My advice before buying any wing is take good advice from a dealer who has on demo or has owned for a period of time all the wings you wish to try. 

If you need advice on the Viper 4, Speedster 2, or the Slalom please feel free to call...

GR002 

If you want ease of launch then try the viper3/4  I only have to sneeze on my 18m Viper 4  and she wants to fly and if you want agility you need to try one... 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

GR002, The viper3 is nothing like the 4. They lowed the A/R to 5.8 which makes it way more stable! It also has light weight fabric on the bottom half of the glider, so it launches easyer than any glider I have ever launch. Its is absolutely an amazing glider. Its crazy efficient for long XC and crazy nimble when you want to have fun. Plus I can launch my 16 in shorter distances than all the gliders I have own, and I have had a few.(I 86kr and I fly a Thor 200). We also paraglide with it in a wide range of conditions. It's amazing!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neo,

Thanks for input on this wing. I know speed is not every thing but have you any figures on speeds. At neutral trim, trims out and trims and speed bar?. I have a loan of a viper 3 at the moment and love the launch climb out and engine off glide but its a lot slower than my Paramania GTX. I am hoping to try a nivuik Kougar 2 this week

Well the speed of these very efficient gliders is largely determined by the glider size. the problem with the viper3 is that Ozone never made it small enough to match the speed of a less efficient glider. Let me explain. If you fly a GTX 22, you should fly an 18 Viper4. If you fly a viper 4 22 it will take less thrust and speed before the speed turns to lift and the glider stops going forward and starts going up if they are both trims close. Its really great for easy take off and fuel economy but not for speed. Thats why speed bar on the viper4 is so great. They have really done a great job on the Viper4 with the speed range. It is faster than the Viper3 for sure, but just as efficient. But go on the Ozone web site and you will see the weight range for the Viper4 is a different than some others. For instance, the 16m weight range is from 55-130Kg, which is like the weight range of a much bigger glider.