H&E 120 Reduction Gearbox.

helimed01

Hi.

Does anyone know if H&E have sorted out the problems with their reduction gearbox units yet?

I've had many (5 or 6) over the years, Paid to have one refurbished at not much cheaper than to buy new, this lasted about 25 hours. Last summer my latest gave up. They always leak grease but this was chucking all the grease out and making crunching noises in flight.

I tried to make one unit from two but on dismantling they were completely different. See phot. Tried to load phot but said too big.

Whitters.

I have a PAP gearbox which is very similar to the H&E.

I use hypoid gear oil in mine as per PAP's recommendations, along with a bit of moly grease, and change the oil every 5 hours.

So far I have ~80 hours and counting. I had to replace one seal because I cooked it ridge soaring - too low rpm for too long.

The bearings are all standard sizes, and easy to obtain - just buy genuine Japanese ones (there are a LOT of knockoffs around that don't last 5 minutes).

The gears are themselves are not that expensive, so a rebuild should not be too expensive.

Heat is your friend for dissasembly. Probably also need a bearing puller.

Hi cas.

The H&E is a motor from early in my PPG life. The first few reduction boxes were replaced under warranty thanks to Pete Searl. I've only bought one and had one refurbished which are the two in the phot, this was in 2009. The new one broke at the casing as seen in the phot, the refurbished one was the original and the best of the bunch achieving over 100 hours which is why I had it refurbished. It's just a spare these days as I have a Bailey and a Fresh Breeze Sportix. The motor is good and had new piston rings and exhaust less than 100 hours ago which is why I've kept it.

I've used all sorts of grease over the years. Originally it was oil filled. I guess they havnt got it sorted as yet. I've had this motor 10 years!!! Can't rush these things!!. Don't fancy grease change every 5 hours or bashing around with bearings. I don't think the bearings are the problem. It gets hot and blows the seals. I think the gears are worn on the older unit.

Thanks for your replies.

Whitters.

• 2 weeks later...

Mines has always leaked oil also! Recently my prop has got very hard to turn when I try rotate it when its not running, the clutch dosent seem to be working anymore as the prop spins at a high rate on idle while making a strange noise, and it is not getting full power through to prop at full rev. What do uns think it is I need to replace? Clutch, gearbox or both

Mines has always leaked oil also! Recently my prop has got very hard to turn when I try rotate it when its not running, the clutch dosent seem to be working anymore as the prop spins at a high rate on idle while making a strange noise, and it is not getting full power through to prop at full rev. What do uns think it is I need to replace? Clutch, gearbox or both

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2017 at 16:50, Monty said:

What did you use in silver gear box. Or what is recommended. Mine says oil on casing

These were grease filled. My newest one is oil filled but unsure what type of Oil it is.  Ive only done a few hours on it as its my spare motor. However not leaked any oil yet which is a first for H&E reduction boxes.  When you find out which oil it is, and the volume can you let me know.  Probably standard hypoid gear Oil. There appears to be an overflow screw which may be the level to fill it to??? Im not sure. Could try emailing them 

ventas@heparamotores.com

Hello

This is written in the manual for the R120:

Withdraw the three bolts that maintain the reduction compartment onto the engine bloc and

bring the reduction compartment down;

? Unscrew the venting valve 1;

? Drain all the oil into a recipient and then slowly fill in oil of specification Mouwan Gear

80W90 (www.kripton.es) until 0,055 l./1,7 fl OZ (US) are in the compartment.

? Fit the venting screw hand tight and put the reduction compartment back into place with the

three screws (make sure that they are well tightening).

? Dispose of the used oil in a recycling container.

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2017 at 09:40, helimed01 said:

These were grease filled. My newest one is oil filled but unsure what type of Oil it is.  Ive only done a few hours on it as its my spare motor. However not leaked any oil yet which is a first for H&E reduction boxes.  When you find out which oil it is, and the volume can you let me know.  Probably standard hypoid gear Oil. There appears to be an overflow screw which may be the level to fill it to??? Im not sure. Could try emailing them 

ventas@heparamotores.com

Hi

they sent me info saying I should use 000 grade grease, which I couldn't find in small quantity. Luckily my friend had some in his garage so he sent me enough. I just filled it nicely. (Grease is like when you mix gear oil and normal grease, if you know what I mean). When I find exact amount from emails I'll let you know

• 4 years later...