Fly Camping

Who is doing this? how hard is it to carry and attach enough camping gear to your rig.

obviously you wont be taking your massive basecamp tent with you but just wondered

What peoples experiences of it have been?

Any difficulties you may have had and what tricks you have to overcome them.

Where have you been? any fun epics? (the engine spluttering as the tank dried, just as the landing site came into view after a tantalizing few mins of 'will I won't i')

.... fun epics? (the engine spluttering as the tank dried, just as the landing site came into view after a tantalizing few mins of 'will I won't i')

I would categorise that scenario as poor planning, not fun epic.

I believe some have flown with basic camping gear, but you will be limited by your ability to launch with the extra weight and bulk.

With a front mounted reserve and a small 'flight deck', I find that low or nil wind launches are quite an effort.

Remember that you will be running, responding to the movements of your wing, dealing with torque and gyroscopic reactions from your motor and carrying its weight.

Add a small tent and a sleeping bag and you have a lot of stuff getting in the way of these processes.

With more wind, you can reduce the running, but you'll have more weight and bulk to manage when turning.

In short, I would say that realistically, your luggage capacity is similar to that of a unicyclist who can't carry a rucksack.

I believe some have flown with basic camping gear, but you will be limited by your ability to launch with the extra weight and bulk.

With a front mounted reserve and a small 'flight deck', I find that low or nil wind launches are quite an effort.

Remember that you will be running, responding to the movements of your wing, dealing with torque and gyroscopic reactions from your motor and carrying its weight.

Add a small tent and a sleeping bag and you have a lot of stuff getting in the way of these processes.

With more wind, you can reduce the running, but you'll have more weight and bulk to manage when turning.

In short, I would say that realistically, your luggage capacity is similar to that of a unicyclist who can't carry a rucksack.

I couldn't agree more. I've done a couple of big XC's this year and travel loaded with 'stuff' needed for a long day away and land out (and for re-fueling i.e. oil and a measuring container). With a brimming fuel tank (16L), flying gear, warm weather gear and all the above it becomes quite a lot more challenging to get off the ground in low or nil wind. Especially on a cold damp morning. I wouldn't relish the thought of adding sleeping bags, bivi's, a mug and other tat for camping.

A nice idea, but probably not so pleasurable in reality. Unless you're not going too far and can afford to trade fuel for camping weight/bulk!

Sooner call the Mrs to meet you at the other end with a car full of camping gear! :wink:

.... fun epics? (the engine spluttering as the tank dried, just as the landing site came into view after a tantalizing few mins of 'will I won't i')

Fair enough, don't get me wrong, I understand the necessity to plan things. All I meant was in general flying.

If you do something long enough your always gonna have 'an incident'

I've never flown one, but I can imagine how aquard it must be, without the extra weight. Was just curious.

There are people that do this in a planned stylee :-) :-)

It was my personal main reason for moving from Paragliding to Paramotors. I did many a trip to Dartmoor. (my old stomping ground)

Paramotors are great for exploration / expedition stuff.

Its 100% doable, but plan well and minimise the kit load as much as possible.

Most of all ENJOY!

SW :D

i am trying to plan a 340km coast to coast at the moment for next year.

fuel caches on the way, or scoping out petrol stations.

camping kit will come in under 5kg, ultra light tent- 1kg or bivi 600g, wing as sleeping bag- in a custom made saussice bag. msr stove 20g,

just need good weather.

• Like 1

i am trying to plan a 340km coast to coast at the moment for next year.

fuel caches on the way, or scoping out petrol stations.

camping kit will come in under 5kg, ultra light tent- 1kg or bivi 600g, wing as sleeping bag- in a custom made saussice bag. msr stove 20g,

just need good weather.

What stove is that? They got a new one? I have the pocket rocket great piece of kit for the size. Must admit I do also like my jetboil system.

Wouldn't have Thaught sleeping in the wing is that great of an idea, won't that help soften up the fabric? But I guess the off time won't bother it to much, sweat might no be great for the fabric, as I'm assuming it dosent breathe?

the msr pocket rocket, but the canister will weigh a bit

alpkit have a lighter type and some nice titanium cookware.

the tent im planning on is a terranova laser comp, ive got goretex bivi bags but i hate sleeping in them if at all possible.

the wing isnt ideal as a sleeping bag as you say its not breathable, i have a small down bag that i could use and use the wing as the mat.

im planning on it taking 3-4 days portpatrick near stranraer to berwick following the southern upland way.

Check out DD hammocks for light weight sleeping gear, I have a couple of them there great, problem is you need trees and wings and trees don't mix :-)

Would love to know how that trip goes.

I wonder is a multi burning stove would work as you could just burn fuel to cook.

Guess it just depends on if the weight gained substites the weight lost?

Ha!! Yeah fair point. Back to basics, nice and simple.

Problem with it is you can land wherever given reason, but unless your camping spot has permission to take off you kinda stuffed right. But I guess if you were for sake of argument on a moor top with no one about, surely sometimes the wind can pick you up off the ground all on its own accidentally. Leaving you no really choice but to fly back home...