DJI Osmo

Same camera and mount on a drone instead of a hand held rig.

NO POST PRODUCTION: direct from card, camera settings 1080 @ 50

i will have to change this back to private tomorrow!!

[vimeo]

[/vimeo]

SW :D

The X3 shoots in RAW also.

I am not sure what it is that seems to 'take the edge' off the shots with the X5 and X5r but people have tried with many settings with the same lack of sharpness issues..

I downloaded some RAW files and played them back on a 5k screen before I was proper worried.

SW :D

Does anyone think think might lend itself to Paramotor flying - airborne use?

Clearly it's not a helmet mount (yet) beacause of size but I wonder if you could somehow chest mount it, or get it out on a selt-stick/pole looking back at you?

All thoughts welcome.

Tony

Got to be easier than using a DSLR I would have thought and plenty of people do that. Maybe just leave the phone off it and just use it by pointing blind (as you would with Go Pros). More faff than a regular sports cam though and limited battery life.

Steve & Notch - thank you.

I dislike the idea of having anything much bigger than my GoPro mounted to the helmet top - especially with reverse launches. Of course the advantage of the helmet mounted option is that you can look towards items of interest and know they are being captured in the video.

The Z-1 Rider seems to have mixed reviews - do you need to run a lead from the helmet to the battery pack/controller?

I agree (Steve) that it could be held like an SLR but I would love to capture some of the manoeuvring flight and be able to control the wing whilst filming - that tends to exclude hand holding anything.

Clearly helmet mounting the DJI OSMO (in it's current set-up) is a none-starter. But I wondered if it could somehow be chest-mounted. That would allow airborne capture without obstructing lines etc and also provide a great hand-held option for both air and ground use = more flexibility and cost benefits.

It will be good to see how they develop this OSMO idea - will they further modularise it so that it might even become helmet mountable I wonder...

Tony

Steve, Thanks. Ive tried chest mounting the GoPro and find I get tilted views as I lean during flight. Cameras on the helmet suffer from rapid head movement (whilst I'm looking out) but at least you tend naturally to level your head even if the cage is slightly off vertical in flight.

I assume any good system with a stabilising capability also levels itself as a setting you make - this would overcome the chest-mount problem that I've found to date.

The Osmo seems a good bit of kit and I'd imagine using it off the Paramotors too for quality stabilised video.

Tony

Yes the Z1 requires a lead to the battery/controls, which I put in my flight deck or jacket pocket.

But with the Osmo it is all integrated, meaning you cannot separate the controls and the jiro.

I dislike having the giro on the head there is a definate risk of lines getting caught during launching & landing. But haven't found a better place for it. Chest mount is a bit limiting.

Foot mount? Would have to survive a nill wind run...

Perhaps if you have a hornet engine (no vibes) you could probably mount it to your frame.

I have tried a number of gimbals, returned most of them and kept the Z1 as it is the best suited to what we do imho.

now, if only someone made this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... a-stabiliz