Super Lite Trike plan for shop builts

Al_B_revo2

5 hours ago, PatPux said:

Taxi tested the trike yesterday, and it went well. Nothing fell off! Although I need to beef up the seat support,

So, just about ready to fly it. But I need ideas and advice on the line guides that go on the cage. What? and Where?

The PAP ones look good but €42 seems a bit steep, so what do people use? Do I recall seeing a large electrical cable tie used , strapped vertically?

And Where?  At mid height of cage  or higher?

https://www.facebook.com/100005854994168/posts/900830113455480/

I have my cable ties at the mid point, then as the lines rise up they have little or nothing to resist them.

I use quite chunky ties, cut off the the points facing skywards and simply taped on to the frame. I have seen others using thinner ties with both ends cut off, formed into a loop with the ends pinched together and these taped to the frame. That way there is a gentle loop of tie facing skywards but a little more stuff to flap in the breeze.

Just make sure the everything is smooth flowing under the guide, so if a line jumps off it as you power up (it may well do so as the lines go tight) there is nothing for the lines to snag on (personal experience the first time I tried changing from my established method).

My trike uses very high hang points so the lines are out of reach and I have never used A assists, the wing comes up smoothly enough every time ?.

Good luck and enjoy........I would never fly if I had to use a back pack but now look forward to every launch (or is that take off now I have wheels?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, darkwing said:

Great seeing these trikes being built successfully. I have  almost completed mine too. I have used different wheels so as to make it even lighter. It's about 80% completed so far. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Would be interested to see the wheels. Not only lighter in weight, but on the wallet, I wouldnt mind betting!

36 minutes ago, Guy said:

Just make sure the everything is smooth flowing under the guide, so if a line jumps off it as you power up (it may well do so as the lines go tight) there is nothing for the lines to snag on

I think , I get you. Where you tape the tie on tape well over the cut end to smooth it out, so if a line jumps out it doesnt then snag under the cut end

http://44508883931_6f19311bc8.jpgSnag

Edited by PatPux

The wheels were pretty cheap so I hope they hold out. I have made provision in the frame so that if they don't work out, I can always upgrade. The wheels cost me $9 each (Au$)...the same lightweight wheels found on "Strider" kiddies type bikes when they are learning to keep their balance before riding an actual bicycle.

I have seen the cable ties used around the frame, at the mid point, sticking out at 90 degrees...parallel with the ground.

The cable tie is strong enough to hold the weight of the lines, but not strong enough to stop a line coming up underneath -  it would just bend the cable tie with pull of the wing. 

5 hours ago, PatPux said:

I think , I get you. Where you tape the tie on tape well over the cut end to smooth it out, so if a line jumps out it doesnt then snag under the cut end

http://44508883931_6f19311bc8.jpgSnag

That's right. As I wind the tape around the frame, I start at the top and work down so each of the overlaps on the tape is arranged in such a way so that the lines run over them as smoothly as possible. I extend the tape below the lowest point of the cable tie to effectively seal that little snagging point you have illustrated so well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

Looking good. I like the padded seat support. I haven't done a seat support as my seat is lower and sits directly on the main tube. I am hoping to get away with it like that.

Mine just about sat on the bar, but in the flying position is well above, so I have split the difference for the taxi-ing position

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've finally test flown the trike! And its fair to say it was a complete success. I had, had an outing about a week ago where I set up to fly but binned one launch then the wind got up so aborted the session, but today I got out early on a very still morning and set to go again.

This time I made sure there was no hesitation as the wing had that initial check as it starts to come up, I kept the power on and kept the trike moving forward. I then allowed the speed to build until it was very nearly flying before applying the slightest of brake to unstick. I must have been pointing slightly off the wing track because I got a bit of sway as I lifted off, but nothing scary. Climb out was very positive with full throttle on the Moster plus. OK I was lightly loaded for this maiden flight, with only 4 litres of fuel and no flight deck, but I would judge there still to be plenty of power for climbing even if carrying another 5-10kg. My TO weight today would have been about 40kg plus 105kg of me, so I will always be well within the 70kg trike AUW limit of 70kg. Also within specified max for the wing of 160kg.

Landing was super smooth, but fast . Although not really noticeably faster than my normal feet/ bum landing- the reason for which I have switched to a trike. The trike touched down pretty level, perhaps the rear momentarily ahead of the nose wheel, the wing stayed overhead as I came to a stop in a few paces, and gently fell in front of me despite pulling hard right brake after initial touch down , but it was nil wind.

Now for a few more flights to prove it wasnt all a fluke!

http://44926408531_4185ac4e3b.jpgTrike Maiden

Edited by PatPux
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Was the landing fast because you landed the trike differently to if on foot? ie you can just let it fly down to the ground and not do too much of a flare. 

No, landed pretty much as I would have without the trike, but I think you probaly could just fly it onto the ground. I flared gently, but a little early , as it happens, then levelled and flared again progressively. I flew with my legs dangling, so there is a slight change of attitude in the trike when you put your feet forward onto the front wheel pedals, and your CofG moves forward slightly, but really nothing significant. It was only a short flight, so during the next few I will explore and try to understand fully the significance  of shifting weight both fore and aft, and side to side.

• Like 1

Well done Pat.

I echo Trev's sentiment.........good report.

I fly a trike and always keep the gas on provided the wing is coming up straight, like you the lightest of touches on the brakes. If you keep rolling forward my wing has no tendency to overshoot.

Well done Pat.

I echo Trev's sentiment.........good report.

I fly a trike and always keep the gas on provided the wing is coming up straight, like you the lightest of touches on the brakes. If you keep rolling forward my wing has no tendency to overshoot.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven’t been on this site for a while and I see https://www.paramotorclub.org/profile/5979-diyan/ has taken ownership of my plan posting links to free downloads. I worked very hard to come up with this design and the plan is copyrighted. 

Hey asshat Dayan, stop giving advice and stop giving away my property. 

Anyone that  needs advice can email questions to me and I will be happy to help. 

LiteFlyer Trike Plan Owner

Don Huffer

drhz222@netscape.net

Edited by Al_B_revo2

On 2/21/2018 at 4:46 PM, Diyan said:

Here's the plans in discussion. I hope they come in handy to the community. Good luck to you all willing to go down the DIY route.

REMOVE THIS LINK. YOU ARE STEALING MY PLAN!!

Edited by Al_B_revo2