Polini Thor 80cc LC.

I am interested to know what people think of this engine. :-) (Polini Thor 80cc liquid cooled)

I am assuming the the liquid cooling will allow the 80cc lump to develop more power.... (just thinking back to when the RD range of bikes went from air cooled to liquid cooled and I remember that insane difference like it was yesterday)

SW :D

• 2 months later...

my concerns go a little beyond the complexity...

the LC system adds weight to the engine (pump, liquid, radiator.... not less than 4 kg.) for a power increase of what ? 1-2 HP ?

Not worth the trouble, in my opinion.

If a power increase is what we're looking for, better go on the 130 cc.

by the way... I live 5km. away from the Polini factory... :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I only have experience with the Thor 250... The all up weight of the 250 vers the 200 is minimal but the power out put is huge..

water cooling is proving to be very reliable and IF like me your after max performance or Min fuel burn these LC engine can be run extremely lean with incredibly High EGT's without any issues as the water cooling is pulling down the temps faster than the heat build up on the cylinder..

I have had some great feedback From Jean Mateos the Owner and designer of the Mac Fly Brand we sell claiming around the same thrust from the 80cc as the 130cc but with better fuel burn...

As for complexity Four stroke are way more complex than a 2T with a water pump. Most V5 run for 100's of hours without Issue,

I am look forward to getting the Thor 80cc when Jean has put them through all his testing

its a nice compact engine.

The video test shows a momentary peak of 58kg thrust, maintaining 55kg thrust at max rpm. Thats with a 130cm helix.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

I would think the thor 130 would push more than that in the 60's?

The thor200 is 19kg pull start and tests show 76kg thrust with a 130cm helix.

The thor250 is 22.8kg empty (no liquid) 91kg thrust with 3 blade 130cm e-prop.

seems a fair trade 3kg weight for 15kg more push.

The little 80 looks nice, but it is what it is 80cc, water cooling helps boost it to 100cc level. Economy will be interesting though, could it be better than top80...

I have been shying away from posting this (because I want to re-test it)

The last flight on the school 80lc was bang on 45 mins, we filled it to 6L on the tank and when he got back it had used 1L almost exactly!

Clearly I am finding this a little hard to believe myself and the guys on the field were stunned.

We will measure this more accurately next time, but as it stands its looking like a sub 2LPH machine!

Pilot: is 68KG

Wing: Synth 2 26

Motor: Zenith 80lc

Flight: 45 mins

'Estimated' burn: 1L

Bonkers I know, which is why some serious re-testing.

I have seen that video before..

I am not convinced that it's accurate, having flown one now a few times I am convinced it's more like 60+

In my experience of thrust testers you can put the same machine on twice and get two different readings..

Pete B built a substantial one with digital sensors and so on... same machine, different end result each time.

I am keen to get a 90kg 'experienced' pilot to take it for a spin to see how it fares :-)

Sub 2lph is the figures ive been told....

I can get 2lph out of my 250 on standard config.. We are doing some testing at the moment for the Up coming worlds plus my time to climb records... Running super lean at low levels so I will be running about right @ 6500-7000ft +

I would be happy to come down and fly your 80cc with 2 litres of fuel to see what we can get... :wink: If your guy only flew for 45mins your not allowing enough time to cancel out the climb on take off... Plus if your not weighing the fuel its a bit of a Pointless test!!

I wonder when the Thor 130-150cc LC will be released?? :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

So we had a mini drama with the 80LC during the week which is worth knowing if your going to get one.

The bad news:

During a decent on tick over from about 800ft when re-applying the power, the engine died. :-(

The good news:

It seems to have been solved by a simple increase in the tick over speed a little (prop still not spinning of course)

I have heard of this happening to one other of the same engine and the same fix was used.

As I say, a mini drama... but one worth knowing about in advance.

Sounds about right.

Knowing real engine weights helps.

My zenith Moster classic was 26.9kg. That was a 13.3kg engine. The thor80 is 12.5kg dry. That's 26.1kg but Moster had an adaptor plate which was easy 500grams. 25.5kg plus water.

I don't know how much water they use?

• 3 months later...

I’ve been flying a Thor 80 for the last two months. Although I love this little beauty in regards to thrust (somewhere between a Thor 100 and Thor 130), the smoothness of the engine and how incredible easy it is to start – I’m experiencing for the first time really angry neighbours. Even the farmer who own our airfield asked me to go back to one of my other engines (Thor 100/130/200) as the noise of the Thor 80 is comparable with a really fucked up angry chainsaw on amphetamine – and the animals on the farm acts nervous while I’m flying. While flying it sounds like a Thor 100/130 to me, but from the ground the noise is just terrible.

Other than the noise I’m totally in love with my Thor 80. Hopefully there will be a “low noise kit” available soon. A new airbox would help, but I guess the problem is more the muffler.

I'm 85 kg, flying an Apco Lift EZ M and Apco Force 2 M. I use a Helix 130 cm propeller (said to be) made for Thor 80.

Trond

Hi Simon! Thanks for your reply. I've checked the exhaust and everything seems to be in perfect shape. I will try to exchange the airbox with another and better one, and also change from an 130 cm Helix to an E-prop propeller. That might help. 

On the ground the Thor 80 is one of the quietest machines on our airfield as well. But as soon as I get in the air the noise is just terrible. I will deep into the issue I'm experiencing and find a solution. 

Trond

Edited by _airworthy_

• 8 months later...

I have had a Thor 80 motor for about a year, with a 125cm e-prop and flying a Ozone Roadster 2 (26m).

I was interested in others experiences in regards fuel consumption on this engine as I seem to have been using around 4 - 4.5 litres an hour consistently since new which has always seemed to me a fair amount for such a small capacity engine....wondered what others were getting with this motor?

It is running at around 7750 - 8000 rpm to achieve level flight trimmers out....

I hope everyone talking about 83÷85kg all up,:Dother way 83kg +35kg equipment with fuel give about 120kg which is for so tiny engine to much9_9

You can fly but

In windless condition you need runway like Concorde

Especialy for apcoforce -power-hungry :fail:

And rev it up to 8000 or more not help in quiet

Edited by Dariuszk24

Thanks for the comments - I am about 75kgs Simon so its a puzzle as to why I am getting that economy....I have had a Helix prop previously which gave similar results so don't think it is that. So far it has proved to be a great motor though - starts first time every time and never a hiccup so I am loathed to start fiddling around too much! :D