iPhone & GPS Question

wallboy

I am looking to get either a GPS unit or iPhone and use an app to track my flights.

I do not like iPhones but have read they are the only phones with a built in GPS chip. Does this mean I can buy an iPhone, put a sim card in and use one of the apps like XC Soar without using any of my data plan?

I only want it for flying so obviously don't want to keep paying to track my flights :?

You should go for the dedicated GPS route- i'd recommend the old trusted Garmin cs60x

Got all you need, waypoints, basic map, you can use it with one hand (gloves), colour illuminated screen, runs on 2 AA batteries for a long time, and BUILT IN BAROMETRIC ALTIMETER.

These are old tech, but reliable- you should be able to get on dirt cheap on Ebay.

The interface to the PC is via USB cable, and you can use free software to analyse tracks, plan routes, etc..

Check out GPS Trackmaker- www.gpstm.com

0075375904912_500X500.jpg

The maps with RunwayHD are stored on the phone it's self so Although the mapping will work, the notams and any airspace updates (almost daily) will not be updated.

Also things like weather, and automatic wind drift calculator will not work.

Buy a super cheep pay and go and have an emergency phone as well, and a shed load of other useful stuff.

SW :D

The maps with RunwayHD are stored on the phone it's self so Although the mapping will work, the notams and any airspace updates (almost daily) will not be updated.

Also things like weather, and automatic wind drift calculator will not work.

Buy a super cheep pay and go and have an emergency phone as well, and a shed load of other useful stuff.

aaah choices choices.

Maybe I should just get a Kobo with XC Soar, but again I wouldn't get daily updates of airspace updates, although I do usually check NOTAMS before going XC.

The key features I am looking for are 1) a route logger so I can see a line where I have flown, 2) Flight time so I can log my hours and 3) the option to program in Waypoints.

I always carry 2 phones with me while flying and have a hook knife and red smoke canister on board too which I hope I will never need to use :D

Most 'smart' phones have GPS. Mine is a Samsung Galaxy Ace (£100 or less) and I run Gaggle and Aircub on it.

Many, many other phones with similar capabilities are available.

Yes many phones have GPS or similar but its weather I will have to use data to be able to track my flights which is the main question.

I only plan on using it for flying so would rather splash out and buy some form of GPS unit and know im done, rather than spend £80-£100 on a phone, then have to keep paying data usage for each flight as that would work out more expensive in the long run.

Maybe I should just stick to basic flying as I think I would only end up using the track logger to draw pictures :lol:

There are apps that download and store maps directly on the device itself, and thus can work with the device completely offline (cellular data and wifi off or disconnected), but you need to find an app that does not stream any real time data. (so ANY online service) like google will require a data connection service.

Runway HD stores all of the mapping on your iPnone and will NOT require any data connection during flight to track log, or route plan.

Update your notams and weather in the morning from your home wifi and you have a fully upto date live GPS system no different from the software used in all of the UK's police heli's, air ambulances, and soon military ones too.

That said, its actually WAY MORE than you need, but we all like a bit of that I suppose LOL