Excellent weather for my favourite flight Tuesday

Hi folks in the South East

I've been mostly grounded for a couple of years but am back with renewed vigour and spectacular kit to match. Couple of years ago I did a brilliant flight from Guildford down to a field I use near Woodingdean where there is a petrol station. Then refueled and flew to Eastbourne and back taking in the amazing white cliffs.

Weather looks perfect for that on Tuesday 11 August (tomorrow).

Anyone up for joining me?

Regards

Raidan

Would of been if I saw this post / my engine parts had arrived / it wasn't pissing it down on the entire route!

Sounds like an excellent route - we have only made it as far as Elstead (well I made it there and back, my fellow paramotorist didn't book a return!) from Barry's field and the next route we planned on was a circuit of Guildford.

There seems a couple of new people starting/restarting in the area (almost enough for a club ha!)

Do you have anywhere other than Barry's field to launch from?

Steve

Thanks Cas and TATO

Was quite an experience in terms of weather and fuel consumption. Took all 12 litres to get just to Newhaven and a genuine fuel out at Telscomb Tye (NOT NORMALLY OK FOR PARAMOTORS where I landed quietly with engine ont and walked to the pub for a lovely little lunch - see my Nirvana about to tuck into a lovely pie. Not a bad place to have a fuel out! Funny enough my mother lives on the edge of Telscombe Tye though she wasn't in.

Then to add to the challenge I spent pent 2 hours faffing walking between petrol stations and then even CATCHING THE BUS!?!? and then a taxi because the busdriver wouldn't let me on with petrol. Had to get to Newhaven Halfords... and they didn't even have my 2x oil. It reminded me of all the "joys" of paragliding... mostly commuting and a bit of a flight in between. Though this was a couple of huge flights with a bit of commuting that shouldn't have been necessary if I knew how much fuel I'd burn (carburettor tweaks that I have sorted).

But in the end I found some "OK" oil, mixed it with the bit I did have with me and had just enough by careful calculation to get only just DIRECTLY back to my car in Guildford.

I flew with an extra 10l mixed but only had just enough to get back to Guildford even with a top up and extra oil purchased down there. Sadly no time/ fuel for Eastbourne this time. Then to add to the fun and games it rained for the entire flight back and if I thought my tshirt and shorts literally left my teeth chatterring and body convulsing on the way down, the rainy flight back was sublime.. 1hr40 in the rain without waterproofs, much less a jacket or trousers is purely for those that want to build a bit of character! But I still found the fortitude to play with a Virgin Balloon in the last few kilometers. Clearly balloon money is important enough to fly in the rain.

Lucky for me we have a paraglider length living room to stretch out the lines and try my soaked wing. I'll post a pic:-)

All told, it was a truly spectacular flight and I will be watching for the next window with a bit less precipitation to do the whole hog to Eastbourne and back

In answer to your question; Only have Barry's field at the moment but looking for options. Was a tricky take-off with all that fuel and gubbins so glad it was his field which is very good for a good long run in all directions... and a windsock - though it wasn't very busy today.

Regards

Raidan

OH - I don't see a thing to attach photo's? Simon? Seems I can only attach one? Oh well. Nice lunch by the seaside it is then! Mmmm... Fingers still tingling from the wet cold and I landed hours ago and am at home on the PC

57336433c77d5_150811PPGlunch.jpg.b69ec09

Quite an adventure!

I was expecting a reply of 'didn't fly due to rain'. I looked out the window in Fleet in the evening and thought - no one would be flying in this.......

What time did you set off? We still dare not break the 3 hours before dusk rule :-S.

Steve

Yeah Steve

I got it slightly wrong in therms of precipitation prediction because one of my key forecasting tools was not available. That made all the difference... but then I might not have done the flight - so all good. It was a great experience and the wing is nice and clean now!

Took off 11h25 for 1hr45

then 2 hours lunch and looking for 2x oil and petrol... as luck would have it the station walking distance from field had run out of high octane fuel.

Took off again 17h20 and landed Barry's field 19h15.

On the drive home the sun slipped under the cloud layer and peeped through for the first time that day... and the incredible orange glow was something I'd never seen before. Wish I'd been in the air for that bit.

You have to have an amazing wife like mine for wing drying. She also benefits from the wing-length living room! The cats thought all their Christmases had come at once! Rustly "paper" AND masses of string to attack. Rip stop nylon to them is just a challenge.

Regards

R

57336433cdabe_150811WingDrying.jpg.d9479