Jump to content

Question about Airspace

Recommended Posts

Hey guys.

I'm interested in learning how to paramotor, although before I went any further with it, I'd like to ask a question regarding airspace.

I've had a quick look at the notaminfo map for the UK http://notaminfo.com/ukmap

And I was just wondering, around Haywood for example it says this:

Manchester CTA-3

Control Area (Class D)

3,000 Feet to 3,500 ALT

If I guess correctly, since I'm not experienced with this, it'd be safe to fly there, as long as I do not climb above 3,000 feet?

And also, if you look where Hathersage is, quite close to Castleton, there seems to be nothing at all there, presuming I could fly there at what ever altitude I please?

I would've thought it would be Class G airspace around there, but it makes me a little confused seeing nothing whatsoever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Alex, and welcome to the Paramotor Club. :-)

My suggestion is that you contact a local instructor who will guide you through both the Airspace and Other Air Law matters that will effect the go -no go answer.

Given that the airspace that surrounds you is all very serious a mistake would be as bad as it gets.

3rd party databases (similar too and including the site you have linked to above) for information about NOTAMS and airspace have recently on a number of occasions been inaccurate (like the RED ARROWS that were not displayed on notam info a couple of weeks ago and the spitfire display at the staff collage a couple of days ago was also missing.

My advice is to use a current chart, don't use the notam info site and check the NOTMAS at source http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... mid=4.html


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply Simon, I'm definitely interested in finding a local instructor to help me with everything, although first I'd just like a little bit of information about the airspace I talked about earlier before spending money training.

If I'm not able to fly anywhere close to where I live, in that airspace I mentioned, I don't think I'd be up for doing it, since I'll have to be traveling for quite a while to get anywhere appropriate for flying.

As long as I stay out of the Manchester CTR, I can safely fly below the indicated altitude of the CTA/TMAs ?

I'd just like to make 100% sure of that before investing any time and money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think like Simon says, best find an instructor as there may be non airspace restrictions in certain areas (I.e noise complaints etc), however we fly east of Farnborough with a lot more issues than the areas you describe, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

We launch under London TMA (Class A) which extends down to 3500ft, and if we venture towards Guildford need to be below 2500ft, whilst avoiding Farnborough ATZ and the IFR approach which is very close - such that we actually stay below 1000ft until we are far enough south.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...