Newbie Advice: Bailey 4V 200 vs Thor 100

flight_animal

Hi. Some advice please for a newbie:

I am trying to sift through the minefield of the many motors out there on the market. Im going to struggle to buy brand new given the outlay on the glider etc, so its the second hand market for me. I've found a Bailey 4V 200 out there with <10 hrs on the clock but which has been dry stored for over 18 months and is private sale. The club where I qualified have a used Parajet with a Polini Thor 100 with circa 40 hours on it. I like the idea of the Bailey for 4 stroke convenience and the build quality reputation, but im nervous of buying on sight from a private vendor. Different concepts - thoughts from those who have maybe experienced both? or is there a better option im not considering? For info: the wing will be a Roadster 2 and im 86kg. Looking at XC and experience building for now.

Many thanks

Get someone with some experience to look over any machine you are considering, whether its from a private seller or a club.

I bought a Bailey from a private seller who happened to be a thoroughly decent and honest fellow. Club membership does not necessarily guarantee the same.

Whatever the source, the machine should be inspected and judged on its own merits.

Both are good engines, We have all been there at some stage, I didnt have clue what to look for when I bought my first motor, Bailey's engine are little of the heavy side for me but are meant to be rock solid, I have a polini thor 100 and yes its had a few issues but all motors do!

Whats your budget? whats type of flying do you intent to do. For me I would not prefer a light weight motor with a good local support agent who can get parts near by ie Parajet, custom air etc

I have heard that the baileys are quite heavy but on a "lift" test between the two I felt that the difference wasn't massive and the extra fuel economy on the Bailey should mean less to carry in the tank. As a beginner I'm just looking for a motor with a benign power curve (which is another plus for the four stroke) decent fuel economy and above all reliability for XC flying while I get my feet under the table. Outright performance can wait for a later day..

I'm planning to get either motor inspected after purchase in any case. I know the Thor has had a reasonably hard life as a club hack.