Uncle Simon.

If you are subjecting yourself to BHPA regs you must not fly outside a "school environment" (under instruction) until you are 16 and you cannot start to fly until you are 14. There is no upper age limit under these regs.

Legally I think that a lower limit is not stipulated anywhere (if anywhere it would be in the ANO) but I suspect it would be under the same law(s) as leaving your kids unattended. There is no legal lower limit for that, as such, but you would be found negligent if you left a baby alone for more than a few minutes probably. Likewise you might be found negligent for allowing your child to partake in a sport that they were intellectually too imature to understand properly. I am speculating here of course.

The BGA have a similar reg, learn at 14 fly solo at 16 I think. seems to be a consensus that 16 is probably a good age to be considered responsible to assess and assume personal risk. For car driving it is only a year later and in the states they start driving at 16 in some states (or used to).

I am always wary of flying anyone under 18 on a tandem. I like to look into the eyes of the parent when I read my risk warning.

Oh and congrats to Simon re baby. Only just spotted the title of this thread! :oops:

Unless things have changed the BGA don't have any minimum age. I started gliding at a BGA club at 12 and flew very regularly until being allowed to solo at 16. It was somewhat frustrating having to wait but I gained extra skills in the meantime such as aerobatics and cross country flying. I became a professional instructor at the age of 18 and competed at national level competition which probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't started so young. I've now enjoyed 26 years in aviation which may never have happened a few years later when I discovered girls!

I agree fully with the above posters words of caution as long as they don't stifle a prospective talent.