Problems with my Parajet Volution XT.....

Cornish_Ben

Hiya, hope this is the right place, i have a problem with my Parajet Volutioin with the XT engine on, im wondering if anyone can help.

When its stripped down it starts instantly and runs fine, When I put the prop on and it wont run at all...

Narrowed this down to it not sparking at all when the prop is on. I cant really figure this out as it shouldn't make much difference at all.... but it does.

It also took me all day to figure this out, with several trips to and from the field to workshop, it not running in the field, taking it back, putting it on the bench and it sparking and running fine, then returning to the field, putting the cage and prop back on and it not starting. Would the extra load be making it not spark ?

Just wondering if this have ever happened to anyone before ...... And suggestions what to try next appreciated....

That is an odd one...

The only thing I can think of as a simple test is to try the following:

Attempt to start as normal, but just before you press the green button, hold the red one down. Let it spin a couple of times and then let the red button go. IF it start's this way, it may be as simple as needing a new battery :-) (they do suffer at this time of year)

Are you running Lipo or Standard battery??

SW :D

Just to note that if you have a earlier Volution and you want to replace your battery to a lipo - it will not recharge in flight!!

When I had the battery problem on the last fly-in it went back to Parajet and they told me about this and had to do something in the electronics side to stop it recharging.

Tony

Right, another hours tinkering and I'm getting somewhere now. The spark thing was just my bad eyesight outside. Its still sparking with the prop on. I have somehow lost compression perhaps ? With the prop off the engine starts and runs still, but with the prop on the extra resistance is not letting it run. The starter seems to turn the engine over faster and it will not start still ( with prop on)

I have taken off the head and the piston seems fine and the bore is nice and smooth. Put a compression tester on the head and its pushing out 120psi both with the prop on and with it off.

Not sure what to check next though. Perhaps a call to Parajet is in order!

I wish it was that simple! I blame the winter weather. It was rubbish from october to january so i didnt use it for a good 4 months. I have drained the fuel and put fresh but i have had issues ever since leaving it that long.

Even with the spark plug in the new starter motor turns the engine over continous if you do not release the button (similar to when the spark plug is removed) . It never used to do this, every press of the starter button used to turn it over just the once then disengage so i take it something is not normal.

Will keep taking bits off it and if i totally give up it could be a trip to parajet with it.

It's supposed to turn over continually if you keep you finger on the button :-)

If it's been laid up for a few months the carb diaphragms will be past their best. Do you have fuel getting into the cylinder? Does the plug get wet if you turn it over with the choke on?

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

Just re read your original and answered my own questions :-(

Bit long winded to give a reason why but I would say you've got crap in your carb. Clean it out and fit a service kit. (£12 from Rowena carbs)

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app