How many Paramotor Pilots are Members of the BMAA ?

FERRYAIR

Would you Join the BMAA ? ( If not already a member )  

1. 1. Would you Join the BMAA ? ( If not already a member )

• Would you join BMAA if a REDUCED PRICE MEMBERSHIP was offered?
    • Would you join BMAA if you could spread cost over 10 -12 months ?
    • I wouldn't join BMAA under any circumstances?
    • I don't see any benefits in joining the BMAA.
    • I am already a BMAA Member.
    • I am an Ex BMAA Member who would rejoin.
    • I am an Ex BMAA Member who wouldn't rejoin.
    • I will post my response on this thread.

How many Paramotor Pilots are Members of the BMAA ?

I am interested in how many Paramotor Pilots/Owners are actually paid up members of the BMAA? The reason for asking is : The BMAA are losing members hand over fist since the advent of SSDR.

Obviously the BMAA put a lot of time & effort into getting SSDR accepted by the CAA & SSDR is a huge benefit to PPG users.

I am considering putting forward a Proposal to the BMAA to have a 2 tier Membership rate so that the ' leaving/left/never joined ' ssdr flyers can be members at a lower rate than the Flexwing/3 axis are currently paying.

There is already talk of a ' instalments ' scheme to spread the cost over the year.

( Any PPG Pilot who also owns a 2 seat BMAA Microlight # non PPG # wouldn't be eligible for the reduced membership if approved )

So would you join the BMAA ( if not already a member ) ?

I have added a POLL to gauge interest.

The BMAA abandoned paramotor pilots... They can go fly themselves as far as I'm concerned!!!!

I went to great trouble/expense to learn and qualify under the BMAA syllabus- feel like a Betamax VCR owner now!!!!!!

Gordon, ( or others ).

I would be very interested in how or why you feel the BMAA abandoned Paramotor Pilots?

I have had my differences with the BMAA over the years but in the main I think they are trying to do a good job.

I am doing a small case study on why the BMAA membership is remaining stagnant at around 4000 members for the last 10yrs ( I know that SSDR has been a reason for some not renewing )

I also know that BMAA Syndicated aircraft seem to have 1 BMAA member per aircraft and a few cheapskates poncing off the other paid members ( Microlight pilots are inherently mean ).

Part of the problem with the BMAA is that a few good men are being dragged down by the imbeciles who seem to believe that everything they do is 100% right and by there being a larger mass of imbeciles than intelligent folk the wrong ideas get voted in.

Please put your views on here or by Private message as I am trying to get the bigger picture.

Just for curiosity , are you the same Gordon Dunn who flew/flys a Silver Aeroprakt Foxbat?

The BMAA abandoned paramotor pilots... They can go fly themselves as far as I'm concerned!!!!

I went to great trouble/expense to learn and qualify under the BMAA syllabus- feel like a Betamax VCR owner now!!!!!!

Gordon, ( or others ).......

Just for curiosity , are you the same Gordon Dunn who flew/flys a Silver Aeroprakt Foxbat?

No- not me, but i know where the confusion is coming from.

I had a video on my Youtube channel a few years ago, of a crazy pilot flying a Foxbat. I removed the video after the 'said' pilot reposted the video to his own Youtube channel. He also flys paramotors in the same fashion.

BMAA abandoned paramotors because

-They let down schools/instructors, who had invested a lot of time money

-After completing the course, the BMAA rating meant nothing

-They didn't spend any time or effort in promoting the sport

In hindsight maybe a good thing, thankfully I could convert my rating to the BHPA with a short conversion- but this was additional time/money for me.

The BMAA would have to work really hard to get back paramotor members- they would find it difficult to match the efforts that the BHPA and PMC go to.

GD

BMAA abandoned paramotors because

-They let down schools/instructors, who had invested a lot of time money

-After completing the course, the BMAA rating meant nothing

-They didn't spend any time or effort in promoting the sport

In hindsight maybe a good thing, thankfully I could convert my rating to the BHPA with a short conversion- but this was additional time/money for me.

The BMAA would have to work really hard to get back paramotor members- they would find it difficult to match the efforts that the BHPA and PMC go to.

GD

Thank you Gordon for giving me an insight into the reasons why you think the BMAA abandoned the Paramotor clan.

I can fully understand that anyone who has invested time & money into getting a BMAA Rating would be pissed off if it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

As I said in another post I was astounded that the Paramotor seller's were not at Telford for the Flying Show last November.

I am shocked that the ethos of Simple Aviation ( Which is the BMAA in totality ) has excluded Paramotoring from their grasp.

I am inclined to agree that the BMAA would struggle now to gain back the members of the Paramotoring fraternity based on your remarks.

I have had many differences of opinion with the BMAA & am possibly Public Enemy No1 when it comes to not pulling punches with them.

I was looking for ways to re boost the BMAA Membership, but getting back the majority of Paramotor Pilots looks like a dead duck.

I used to be a BMAA member, and as I recall it the BMAA dropped the paramotor side due to not being able to offer insurance to their instructors.

I dropped out because all I was getting was a magazine, having no use for any other facilities offered.

In my mind £67 a year buys a lot of hours in the air on PPG :D

Cheers, Alan

I used to be a BMAA member, and as I recall it the BMAA dropped the paramotor side due to not being able to offer insurance to their instructors.

I dropped out because all I was getting was a magazine, having no use for any other facilities offered.

In my mind £67 a year buys a lot of hours in the air on PPG :D

Cheers, Alan

Alan,

I think you have hit the nail on the head, I do recall hearing that about Instructor Insurance ( The BMAA can't find an insurance company to cover SSDR in a sensible price range to enthuse SSDR pilots to rejoin ),

I also agree with you on the Magazine subscription point, whilst I am a BMAA Member I have asked myself why I now pay £70.00 per year to read a magazine that is effectively costing me £5.83 per month when I can buy a copy every month from ebay for £2.99 ?

I do fly microlights but like yourself I don't need to be a member for Permits & I don't need them for licence validations either.

One of the BMAA Council members suggested Monthly payments to spread the cost for those who either can't find £70.00 in one go or would like to spread the cost.

When broken down into 12x £5.83 payments it certainly doesn't seem like an excessive cost ( I give away more than that to Beggar's on the street each month ).

I have already noticed that the Paramotoring item's in MF are getting less & less, maybe because the following of members has declined to the point of extinction?

I doubt I will have lots of replies as it would seem that the BMAA have disgruntled quite a few of you over the years.

No- not me, but i know where the confusion is coming from.

I had a video on my Youtube channel a few years ago, of a crazy pilot flying a Foxbat. I removed the video after the 'said' pilot reposted the video to his own Youtube channel. He also flys paramotors in the same fashion.

Thank you for clarification that you aren't the Foxbat Stunt Pilot.

I was astounded when I first watched that video & must admit I had attributed you as being the Pilot.

I regularly fly Foxbat's and wouldn't dream of flying in that kind of style, I think the pilot is lucky he was in a Foxbat ( as they are quite forgiving ).

I think I have just found the youtube account of the Stunt Flyer & having seen the way he was throwing a Thruster T300 around and the way he was flying a Paramotor I would like to offer him a Darwin Award whilst he is still alive.

He looks like his handling skills are pretty good, but I think his 'built in ' survival streak is Razor thin........... I too have been a ' Wild Child ' & flown crazily but I have had my Survival streak widened by being bitten by an X'Air that decided I should spend a few day's in Newry Hospital & endure a 6 month recovery process.

My wake up call was when the people who rushed to the wreckage said " They expected to find body parts strewn over the area "

I never expected an X'Air to bite me considering I have flown most aircraft & I am the first to admit I didn't give the aircraft any respect and I also disregarded the weather conditions on that day.