Low cost strobe

alan_k

After reading suggestions on another forum confused0006h.gif I thought I would take the plunge and try one of these.

It's not the brightest and certainly not omnidirectional, but taking the approach that something is better than nothing to help you be seen, I've fitted it to my V5.

It is a twin LED unit with a quick 3 flash sequence every second.

P1040614.jpg

Given the fact that a PPG has a smaller outline from the side I have fitted one LED to each of the throttle hang brackets near the outside of the cage. I used locking nuts and superglue on the L bracket to ensure it all stays in place.

P1040615.jpg

I had to extend the cable on each LED but the control box fortunately has two latching connectors, so it makes assembling and dismantling the cage quarters very easy. The control box is very small, so I drilled a couple of holes through it to fit a cable tie, then tied it to the centre of the frame just behind the harness.

P1040612.jpg

Once the cage is assembled and the leads connected all the extra wiring is well out of the way.

P1040613.jpg

The extended power lead is tied to the frame and then enters one of the side pockets where the 12V battery pack is kept.

P1040616.jpg

I looked at altering the flash rate but it is not possible with this unit, but I have increased the peak current a little, from 0.33 to 0.56A. The average current draw now is about 0.15A so it's quite frugal.

............and the cost......... £2.49. Available from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251637243765? ... EBIDX%3AIT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As another little mod to the V5 I have fitted a small section O ring to the small R clip that holds the pull start pulley pin, to prevent it getting dropped and lost in the grass.

P1040617.jpg

Cheers, Alan