Ozone Roadster 2 details

norbertflyer

I have free flown R2 speedster slalom 16m and the Viper 3 22m.. If your looking for pure performance then a PG will normally out perform your PPG wing, I've not done any Back to Back testing but i would say it is very hard to tell between two matching wings.

The bonus with a PPG wing over PG wing is when the conditions get stronger we have added speed with trimmers.

I have found that my Viper 3 and my old speedster were allot faster on the Hill ridge soaring than most of the PG wings.

Hi Sargeant, that's good to hear, thanks.

I can't view the video though, has it been made private rather than public in you tube? It'd be great to see..

Cheers

Ben

Edited.. Scratch that.. Works ok on my laptop but not iPad for some reason! Great video, looks like it works well enough to do my cp with ;)

Edited by Guest

R2 is fine for ridge soaring, but it's not particularly good at thermal coring (tends to lean in too much on trim, (not lift sensitive enough), needing at lot of outside braking) nor downwind glide chases. I reckon it's somewhere between 5 to 10 glide points behind an equivalent ENB PG wing at best glide trim setting. R2 satisfies the speed and stability requirements much better than a PG wing.

Richard

Thanks Richard, that's useful info. Ridge soaring is what I have in mind as I'm currently doing my cp hill.

What do you mean by glide points? As I understand it, a pg wing usually has a glide ratio somewhere around 7-9:1 ... I can't find anything on the r2

Ben

Interesting how much difference the harness makes to GR..

Nearly finished my CP (hill) now, had over an hour soaring on the Roadster 2 and i would say it compares very favourably with PG specific wings. I've noticed that weight shift on the R2 doesn't have quite as much authority as the BGD Adam wing (enA) that I also flew.. Although it may be due the the harness rather than the wing.. How do others find the weight shift on their R2 wing (compared to a PG wing)??

Here's a couple of videos of flights overlooking the stunning Chesil Beach in Dorset..

https://youtu.be/Ie8wfaStT94

https://youtu.be/Bomyoh5umeE

Remember to keep the Ozone recommended EN trim setting for free flight. Anything other than this will mean the glider is uncertified. It doesn't mean the thing will fall out of the air, just that departures from normal fight (collapses) are not tested for speed of recovery, etc.

Just education for those with very limited hours in the air, or very low experience of free flying (especially in thermic air).

Richard

Remember to keep the Ozone recommended EN trim setting for free flight.

Thanks Richard, you are correct. To add to that, the wing comes with trimmer locks that clip onto the carabiners to prevent releasing them in flight. You'll notice in my free flight videos that they were attached, keeping it in certified position. You still have the use of speedbar as usual (also demonstrated in one of my videos above..)

Ben, remember the R2 is also not EN certified for accelerated fight. Be careful, especially on a day in the UK like today (Saturday). It's likely to be quite windy, thermic and rough in the air. A great day for the PG comp pilots chasing records, but not for low airtimers.

Richard.

Thanks for the advise Richard, yes, I was aware of the accelerated flight being out of certification, but also that the shark nose design and reflex technology make it more collapse resistant, but can be more dynamic in pitching and turning when accelerated... (Most wings will be more dynamic in recovery when on the speedbar). Also aware of the causes and dangers of thermic days like today.. I'm new to paragliding but not to flying ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

After about 3hours hill soaring with some thermal (free flight) I can report that the min sink and glide ratio is very close to a en:A paraglider wing.

I'm flying a R2 26m2 at 100kg (right at the top for free flight) and in moderate to strong conditions the difference is much more about piloting that wing efficiency. In light conditions or when the wind is off the hill, I'll be scratching a little lower that those on pg wings. This could be in part due to being heavy on the wing.

The brakes are quite heavy when held at min sink (about 30cm). Where it really excels as a free flight wing is when it gets strong. No problem pushing forward away from the hill and steady as a rock on speedbar with that reflex action.

I used the R2 to complete my CP hill rating and it never held me back, even being heavy!

Here's some latest footage flying with others in strong 15-18 mph wind with thermals recorded up to 5 m/s lift. Big ears to get down... Any comments or constructive criticism welcomed.

https://youtu.be/aOdTh0pQdfY

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Wow, Swyre hill brings back some memories. Ringstead next! Careful though, it needs a 1km glide to the cliffs from launch on the NT property. Would be good to know if the R2 can get to the cliffs. Another 15 hours experience should be enough before tackling that site - can also be very rough getting to the cliffs in thermic air. I have a couple of old vids of Ringstead on my YT channel, but on a PG.

Richard

• 2 months later...

Finally found a great Roadster2! 3 months old, 2 flights on it, guy needed money.  Kited it for the first time last night, seems decent, my old edel power atlas doesnt have split A's or a speedbar, Trimmers are different, so alot of extra stuff on the risers to get used to.  Look forward to my first flight, wx is supposed to be crappy for a week. :/  

Edited by 67Camaro

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi all!

I am a new pilot, 30 hours in the air abd I received my R2 28 last week...

To give you perspectives to the load, the R2 likes being loaded! I  am all up 162kg (flying a Maverick) and I flew few times the R2 26! Yes 26 and it was a beaut! Only thing is with my weight it was hard to get airborne with a 26 at nil/low wind. Otherwise I would have stuck with the 26... now dont get me wrong, the 28 is still great; agile yet a bit slower to react at turning than a 26, but surely easy as hell to launch at my skill level in nil wind. My feelinh now is that The R2 28 for my weight is good for now, slower and easier to launch, but while my skill builds up I will be thinking of the 26 again (R2 26 OR Paramania Revo 3-26), both on my mind...

My advise comez short from an instructor's... but the more loaded that wing is the least I felt the wing was affected by the turbulence... other than that, the R2 28 is great as long as you load it... remember that more load=more speed=better reflex=more agile=(-)need faster run at landings & T/O...

Other points I notices are:

1-trims need a good pull to close

2-the breaks are bit longer so might need wrap (I dont do so, I just maintain the pressure pn the breaks at trim closed)

3-bit more sensitive to oscillation but manageable 

4-while ground handling, I tried to collapse it with outer A and beleive me when I say it wouldn't ... I felt secured when I saw that... I even pulled both As and still was flying (with minimum input to breaks of course)

5-launching is intuative, just needs deeper break to t/o due to longer break lines... these can be shortened but then why would I change a designer's recommendation

6-landing flare to be applied at bit lower than a EN A wing...

Still I have a lot to learn, but I think that R2 will get me to where I want. I FEEL confident and happy with it overall

Edited by Jobkfire

14 hours ago, norbertflyer said:

136kg on an R28. Not sure I'd notice 1-2kph more speed on an R26. May notice take off efforts more and perhaps landing speeds. Think I'd notice the manoeuvre velocity more so.

Richard

17 hours ago, AndyB said:

I'm 126 Kg all up on a R2 28 m. I find it great. :)

Richard, Andy, Glad you enjoy it! 

I do not know what flying conditions you have at your locations, but you seem to fly a glider closer to its mid-range of the weight spectrum (R2-28 weight range is 95 to 160), how are you managing turbulences and flying in a stronger wind (nothing crazy, just saying 9-10 kts)? I am just curious, cause when I used to train on a spark 30 and at 6-7-8kts wind, I would be stuck in place (yes... I do open the trims too).

Edited by Jobkfire

Hi, I fly in all conditions, including in midday sun. I find in very turbulent conditions (such as going over mountains on windy days), the R2 needs some brake pressure to help smooth the ride. It is really just active flying. In turbulent conditions, without any input ,the wing has a tendency to develop roll (side to side swing). The wing is still completely stable, just the ride gets more entertaining.

4 hours ago, AndyB said:

Hi, I fly in all conditions, including in midday sun. I find in very turbulent conditions (such as going over mountains on windy days), the R2 needs some brake pressure to help smooth the ride. It is really just active flying. In turbulent conditions, without any input ,the wing has a tendency to develop roll (side to side swing). The wing is still completely stable, just the ride gets more entertaining.

Hi Andy! That must have taken you a lot of time to master...that s amazing!

I am sure you fly with a reserve and want tp ask ypur opinion: I plan to buy and sttach mine on my left arm, since the right hand is busy with throttle. The thing I want to ask is, already my parajet maverick is attached at the left arm with offset to counter the torque, do you think attaching an extra 3kg of reserve to that side would make it "Extra" loaded to the left? Your opinions please.. ?

8 hours ago, AndyB said:

How are nil wind launches?