Ozone Roadster 2 details

norbertflyer

Its a very tricky decision to make because you're surrounded by so many "my wing is the best, I love it" comments from pilots that have probably never flown another wing.

I'd be wary of making assumptions like that. Many people, like yourself hopefully, did a lot of research and flew various wings before making their choice. They may also have a lot of hours on their chosen wing and people fly different types of wings for different types of flying.

I don't know anyone who thinks their wing is 'best' but I know plenty who fly what they do through informed choice. I know of two people who bought wings on instructor's advice and the usual published hype who have replaced them.

If you are a new pilot I would be concentrating on something stable which will be your friend when you screw up. I hope you are happy with the Roadster but generally it's good to try to keep an open mind in this sport.

Its a very tricky decision to make because you're surrounded by so many "my wing is the best, I love it" comments from pilots that have probably never flown another wing.

I'd be wary of making assumptions like that. Many people, like yourself hopefully, did a lot of research and flew various wings before making their choice. They may also have a lot of hours on their chosen wing and people fly different types of wings for different types of flying.

My point Stevie is to listen only to sound advice, from an instructor, or from someone with many years flying experience, from someone that has flown multiple wings from multiple manufacturers - not to listen to one person that cannot give constructive advice concerning a comparison of two wings.

As a new entrant to this hobby, it's easy to read one piece of advice from someone and take it as gospel. I am a scuba-diver as well and I see the same in that hobby, someone will slate a brand or manufacturer and yet possess no first-hand experience or knowledge to backup their claims.

I didn't suggest you take advice from one person (nor don't buy the wing you have chosen). I was just suggesting that you shouldn't assume people don't have some valid input. The comment you made, "comments from pilots that have probably never flown another wing" led to me replying to you. Just a bit of an assumption going on. If I need advice I have half a dozen people I turn to but will listen to everyone that has experience with something in particular.

I've been a UK cave diver for twenty seven years and have seen brand religion sometimes (less so than in open water diving) but the same applies, don't discount people simply because they don't fit into your idea of having some worth. I was given some advice by a pilot with less than a quarter of my hours a few weeks ago, and it improved my flying. The ego wasn't over the moon but the rest was a result.

It's hard to find unbiased information about gliders. There is too little actual comparisons done. Test flying would be great, but it's not like going to the dealer and ask for a test. At least not here.

Most people when they buy new wings say that they love it. And they probably do, we love our sport, so we love our wing. Especially when it's new. I wish we had a bit more grumpy people that complained more :)

Wish we had a Ziad Bassil in the PPG world. Someone that test fly most of them.

Sargent

Sorry we couldn't help you out... :wink: It's a small world... Just read your thread..

Notch How Fat are you really?? and your experience??? Roadster 2 28m goes up too 140kg... plus if its anything like the speedster they like to be loaded up!! it has the same max all up as the speedster 30m

I can wait to get my hands on one very soon.. But i Have my Viper 3 demo 22m & 26m coming in to play.... So i might be too busy :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking with other dealers and the feedback there getting from there customers, and feedback from our customer. very easy inflation, easy launch,nice handling. Supposedly fast for a beginner wing.. "Depends what you class as fast" ;-)

I only floated one around our local field too test fly it for my customer.Very nice but I would rather be flying my 16m slalom..

We have no plans to get another demo model in as we now have two Viper 3's to go with our slaloms and speedsters..

• 4 weeks later...

Despite an under geared ground adjustable test prop on 3 of the flights, I was quite impressed with the R2 28:-

Launch - easiest I've experienced, but you do need to take a wrap to get airborne even on the slowest setting with a low powered machine (as I found out twice on aborted runs).

In flight - slight penduluming but easily stopped and not surprising given its agility, short lines and the Ozone slalom designer input. Incredibly stable, but also incredibly agile for a low B class wing. Wing tip brakes are ultra sensitive at trim and very work well at full speed. Trimmers need a really good pull as do others at my AUW. Turning takes a bit of a dive if not checked with opposite brake or power, but that's a consequence of it's agility.

Landing - needs a wrap and decent rate is average.

MPG - about 5-7% less than my Delta class (31sqm) C PG wing, so a pretty good result for a purpose built low end ENB PPG wing.

KPH speeds at 145kg - 40 trim, 48 full trimmers and 59 at full trim speed bar, but I couldn't maintain level flight with my engine/prop setting combo.

I'd probably go for a size 30 if one was to be produced, but I think the 28 will be good in the higher wind conditions.

Looking forward to trying the thermals in the spring and soaring it next month.

Hope this helps someone looking into this class of wing purchase.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
A new video posted by someone playing with the Roadster 2:

That's my video.

Nice wing, easy inflation, great agility and a really good glide (notice how good it glides before the final flare in the video).

This is another video of my friend trying the wing:

The title says it all: "How forgiving is the Roadster 2 at takeoff?"

A new video posted by someone playing with the Roadster 2:

That's my video.

Nice wing, easy inflation, great agility and a really good glide (notice how good it glides before the final flare in the video).

This is another video of my friend trying the wing:

The title says it all: "How forgiving is the Roadster 2 at takeoff?"

Interesting launch style :lol: he's clearly running 45-90 degrees to the wind, how on earth did he ever expect to get off the ground lol!!

But as you say, forgiving it certainly is! Perhaps an understatement in this case :)

Yeah, he did everything he could to mess up the takeoff ;)

Low airtime pilot but in his defence it must be said he has a terribly unbalanced paramotor frame. Hopefully that will be changed soon.

Just a word of caution: don't try Roadster 2 and Viper 3 at the same time. I made a mistake trying first a Roadster 26 and then a Viper 3 20.

Got 1000 RPM less with the viper and took off in nil wind in 5 meters with a miniplane top 80. I ended up buying the viper on the spot ;)

To be fair, they're aimed at completely different skill-sets/markets. The Roadster 2 is a beginner to late-intermediate wing (EN-B at slow trim), whilst the Viper 3 is an late-intermediate-advanced wing only.

+1