What Flight Suit For Winter

wallboy

OK my BlueskyBlue flight suit has now about had it so I will soon be looking for a nice new warm winter suit :)

The main feature I am looking for is sleeve inserts with thumb loops which prevents wind going up the sleeves and a radio pocket as I sometimes fly with comms.

I have seen a suit with a clear leg pocket (photo below) which would come in really useful to put my altimeter in rather than having it strapped to my leg which slides down while running or saves having a flight deck, but that suit is from Hong Kong so im a little wary of that

How many layers would you guys recommend for winter flying in the UK? and any recommended suits to check out?

57336429bc07f__12.JPG.778e2b8e212a3c73cf

I always fly through the winter and can advise to put on lots of layers, preferably thin ones to avoid bulking up too much.

When really cold I wear a thermal vest, t shirt, sweatshirt, windproof Reebok Golf jersey, plus long johns and trainer bottoms under my X-treme Air flying suit.

The flying suit isn't the warmest on the market but I do find a real benefit using the extra windproof layer underneath.

When I first asked my instructor about winter flying he said you can't wear too much and he was right.

Cheers, Alan

I use an Ozee Millennium winter flying suit for the really cold weather which is incredibly warm and has pockets everywhere you need them and a clear pocket on the thigh. Mine was MTM for no extra cost. Can't recommend them enough.

Thanks Stevie, I have been looking at the Ozee and Blue sky Blue and see BSB sell 2, 3, 4 and 5 layers but I have no idea how many I would really need.

I often go between 2000ft -3000ft and have even gone as high as 5600ft so I need something decent :)

Anybody else know of any more suits?

The Gin Winter Flying suit is awesome. I have had one for the last 12 years and fly through the winters. :-)

If your going to do loads of epic winter flying, you can also look at heated motorbike under jacket's... which make it feel like you are laying in a bath! :-)

SW :D

I know 4 others here that fly with the Dickies suit.

Do you guys have any issues with the zip? Just that I also have a Ski Coat and fly with that as its warmer than my flight suit but the zip keeps sliding down from the neck which is a massive pain in the ass.

If these zips stay fastened then im definitely going to be ordering one. Then again I suppose I could just buy a scarf :D

I know 4 others here that fly with the Dickies suit.

Do you guys have any issues with the zip? Just that I also have a Ski Coat and fly with that as its warmer than my flight suit but the zip keeps sliding down from the neck which is a massive pain in the ass.

If these zips stay fastened then im definitely going to be ordering one. Then again I suppose I could just buy a scarf :D

I've never had an issue with the zip (or with any part of the suit).

Hope this helps.

Dom

Hi Wallboy. You must have your ass in an unusual place if your neck zipper sliding down pains you there :-)

Anyway I wouldn't go for a scarf! If it got loose and near your prop you could end up with a pain in the neck!

Lol :lol:

Maybe a balaclava will be better

Anyway I done more searching on-line and came across a suit which the stats look better than the Dickies Waterproof Coverall, its the Portwest Winter Coverall.

Plus its a nicer design and slightly cheaper :)

I will let you guys know what its like once I receive it and have took it for a fly.

57336429d7efb_jhg-Copy.jpg.6b43c9f464294

OK guys been for a fly today and I wore just a t-shirt under the new suit and its lovely and warm. Not too sure what temperature it got to while flying as I forgot to look but it was 15 Celsius on the ground and I went up to about 2500ft.

In the winter it should be perfect while wearing a few layers as its a little too warm to use yet as I was a little wet with sweat when I landed lol

Edited by Guest

OK my BlueskyBlue flight suit has now about had it so I will soon be looking for a nice new warm winter suit :)

The main feature I am looking for is sleeve inserts with thumb loops which prevents wind going up the sleeves and a radio pocket as I sometimes fly with comms.

I have seen a suit with a clear leg pocket (photo below) which would come in really useful to put my altimeter in rather than having it strapped to my leg which slides down while running or saves having a flight deck, but that suit is from Hong Kong so im a little wary of that

How many layers would you guys recommend for winter flying in the UK? and any recommended suits to check out?

I've got one of these and they are great for when it's not too cold, but for the winter I use a Mercury flying suit. Heavy waterproof nylon with a pile lining. Not sure if they make them now, but they come up on ebay. But you will be warn in a t shirt even in the winter.