Flying from Lands end out to the Isles of Scilly.

My Mum and Dad live in Penzance and both now work with the RNLI.

I would make sure that you let the RNLI guys know in advance if your planning that flight, they will most likely use you as a training exercise and keep a closer eye.

And of course make sure you can float and stay warm for some time. :-) :-)

SW :D

Funnily enough.... I got a call on Saturday from one of the pilots at Skybus asking if I knew who was flying a paramotor to the scillies right through the transit corridor without ATC permisssion... .

It's one of the busiest air routes in the country.

Can you explain?

Quite - it also says it's SFC to 4000'

The purpose of the corridor is to make it very clear that it is a major pain in the arse for the commercial operators and ATC if private aircraft go to the Scillies without telling anyone.

Just one phonecall would have saved any bother and prevented another big chunk of the aviation community thinking that paramotorists are tossers.

I have been trying to organise a proper trip to the Scillies and tour around the islands but I may have just lost a bunch of support.

Jeez you were on the right web page with the Lands End ATC phone number on it.....

Use the App.

Ben, as discussed on pm it was more of a problem because the scheduled stuff was trying to shoot instrument approaches at the time. Thanks for being honest about your thought process and I've passed the message on to the guys at Skybus as we discussed.

Ad

Use the App.

Congratulations on making the crossing. I've flown that route and it seemed a long way over the sea even in a microlight!

I would have been scared to do the crossing so low. I always cross water as high as possible to give me plenty of time to radio for help if the engine conks out.

I've not yet crossed any significant water by paramotor but would certainly like to. I have an immersion suit and locator beacon so I think a ditching would be survivable.

Cheers it all went well, the flight over was lovely and smooth, some nice low flying above my mates boat who was only a couple of miles an hour slower.

Every now and then i would get too far ahead so would do a circle to let him catch up... quite scary not being able to see land in any direction! i think i lost sight of lands end about 8 miles in.

My landing was not very good, the beach i had chosen on St Martins was giving off lots of thermal, when i switched off the engine it picked me up a bit then it felt like i fell out the sky. luckily the sand was soft but i still got wet feet !

I have made a video, if anyones interested enough go on youtube and search for " paramotor scillies" , its the only one on there!

It's only an ozone spark, I haven't even set up the speedbar on it yet as I have only been flying a year . According to my very hitec GPS I was doing 26-28mph with a very light breeze to the side of me . I speeded up some parts of the footage to make it look a bit more exciting although the landing clip was in real time! It took 50 minutes to get from lands end to st Martins, with another 40 minutes flying around the islands.

I had figured the longer we talked about it and the more experienced I got, the less likely I was to give it a go so we just went for it.

I quite fancy a blast across the channel next if anyone's keen.