3rd Party paramotor and paragliding insurance.

It's probably unfair to ask too many questions at this stage as we don't know what the cover is...but I will anyway!

Will you be discounting the cost of membership if insurance is taken out? Otherwise the annual cost won't look quite so competitive...

Hi,

It's the standard 2 million 3rd party cover, including tandem under instruction, and 7.5 million crown liability.

This will cost £150 for a full year.

I believe that we are competitive not just on price but quality of cover. This risk will be underwritten by Lloyds of London and insured by a well established UK aviation insurer who are well know to assist in claims throughout the aviation industry.

This is outstanding cover for our sport, and indeed the best. I guess it's a case of 'you get what you pay for' I have had no say on the cost of this policy but I do think it is fair.

To make it clear:

ONLY PMC full members who can also prove a standard of training will be able to take out this policy.

If in doubt, call me on 07983 428 453 and ask :-)

SW :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - thought I'd jump in here ( and hope Simon wont mind :wink: ) .

My names Peter Matcham and are the one some of you have had emails/ calls from in the last 24 hours - and I'll be calling you all in the next day or two to chat through details if you've sent me an email with your phone number on.

I work for Alan & Thomas Insurance Brokers looking after all their flying related clients (from Paramotors to Gulfstreams to training fleets of Pa-28s etc etc.)

My inbox has gone slightly nuts with the number of enquiries - hence the delay in calling - but rest assured I'm not just an insurance nerd - I started flying gliders aged 14 (had a break for kids n stuff) but then did the usual PPL training in the usual things.

Hopefully this has helped me understand what you guys are doing.

We've tried to keep this set up very simple - much as Simon has explained - Its a £2m public liability cover for anyone who is a member and pays the premium.

So if you injure someone or damage anything the damage (up to £2m) is paid for - legal costs are in addition to this.

If anyone wants to call directly my number is 01202 754924 - happy to chat about this or infact if there is anything insurance related I can usually find an answer or know some one who will know.

Some aspects around tandems and training that can be a bit wordy to write on a forum and already some good questions form some of you that I'm trying to get answers on.

But I'll get there and answer everything ASAP.

Pete

(PS - love the smilies on this forum ! :fail: )

• 3 weeks later...
I actually think that £15(9) is not too much to ask for the cover provided. :-)

I would like to think though that we can negotiate a better deal after the first year or so which I fully intend to do. Support form the members is what is needed at this early stage and I thank all of those who have taken out this policy already for doing so.

Morgy: How much did you pay for your tandem cover to do the records? The BHPA don't cover that do they?

From what I understand so far, this new policy covers you to fly as many wings/motors as you list and you can arrange extra ones, or delete them at no extra cost during the year, making flying other peoples kit insured including demo wings possible.

This makes it far cheaper than AXA, where you pay around 145 euros per wing!

You also have cover for third party when you fly tandem (passengers excluded)

There is zero excess on the policy.

As Simon says, it can only get better, but it is better already for many pilots.

Chilly.

Take off location is not restricted assuming it's legal of course.

Comp cover is not 'excluded' but if you are interested in this your best option would be to contact the insurance company directly.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

Morgy,

We are offering 3rd party cover to tandem paramotor pilots. Do the BHPA offer that with the £90 membership fee? (the answer is no)

Basically, you can not fly a tandem paramotor in the BHPA and be insured by them even for 3rd party where as as a PMC tandem pilot you can.

What's your problem? You seem happy to have a policy with a £500 excess that does not cover your 3rd party liability when you are flying your tandem rig......!!! lol

If it does not cover the Passenger you may as well not have any at all.. the chances of crashing into a house car and or causing damage to anyone else is very remote but breaking your passengers leg ankle or worse is far higher.. does this insurance cover this??

Does your insurance cover you for free flying?? No

So what's the point of any 3rd party cover then if that's your attitude?

If you fly your tandem into my car your not insured (forget about the passenger for now to simplify it for you) if lets say Chilly crashes into my car on a tandem his insurance will pay for the damage to my car.

I still don't get what your problem is? Or who insured you for your tandem records last year?

Wait out for answer on free flying :-) we are waiting to hear back from the underwriters.

Mate, it's clear that for whatever reason you don't like the idea of the Pmc insurance... That's fine, don't buy it :-) but don't start comparing policies as the Pmc will win that one every time :-)

If chilly flies into your car, yes he is covered for the repair too your car.. BUT the passenger the person who will hit the car first and most likely come off worse, will too take you too court and win and will most likely take his house and car away... at least your have a shinny car in the end... :lol:

I guess you pays your money you takes your choice....

You wouldn't ride you Motorbike with someones child on the back if your insurance didn't cover you for pillion passengers would you???

In this case, you pay your money and you get your insurance! :-)

mate surely you can see the benefit of 3rd party cover no matter what your flying?

This conversation is starting to become odd?? Are you actually that negative about this or are you just confused?

3rd party cover for tandem is better than no cover for tandem can we at least agree on that lol ???! Confused . Com

Its not part of a tandem covered?

Both the pilot, passenger, and aircraft are insured against 3rd party damage and so on..

The 'Excluding passenger' means that the passenger can not claim back 3rd party losses from the pilot.

Hi all. Glad to say we now have PMC members on cover under this scheme. :explode:

Not getting into what other policies can or cant cover I know I've chatted through the real world scenarios of how this would work.

As Simon has said the 'passenger' can't make a claim against this insurance if they are inured. Underwriters viewed it as just too great a risk - as has been pointed out by Morgy they are very likely to 'come off worse' - so its just not coverable in the budget that was discussed. If anyone wants to pay more let me know - I'll see what I can arrange :)

As a passenger they aren't considered the 'public' or a 'third party' - even in light GA aircraft where cover is a legal requirement for passengers you only 'need' to provide £125k cover per passenger - and that's with a far reduced risk of a broken ankle from a less than perfect landing.......... :oops:

My view as a power & glider pilot is this is a great step for the sport to take to be given the recognition it deserves. 8)

I'm still chasing confirmation that free flying & comp flying is OK (underwriters just want to fully understand before giving the 'OK') - they're not all pilots and so take longer to understand stuff than 'flyers' may do ! :lol:

Hi all - another quick update on this .

Happy to be able to confirm that free flying is 100% covered on this policy.

I'm still discussing with the underwriter the potential to include comp flying, but there is some question around the proximity to spectators in this area - but watch this space and I'll confirm as soon as I can.

As a new scheme there were always going to be questions and areas that ( even with Simons knowledge ! ) we hadn't considered.

Hopefully only one or two of these are still out there .

Pete

• 2 years later...