3rd Party paramotor and paragliding insurance.

All,

I am shouting about this now as I am excited :-) Please don't bombard me with questions after reading this as I will be giving full details over the coming weeks. :-) I am just telling you now about some developments. :-) :-)

The Paramotor Club WILL soon be able to offer 3rd party insurance cover as a membership option. :-) !!!

This is a policy being provided by a very large and well known UK based insurance company and underwriters. You will not be able to buy the policy directly from them as you will have to have a PMC UK rating or PMC Swedish licence to be able to benefit from this policy.

I suppose the main questions I will have in my head over the coming weeks are:

1. Do we also accept bhpa ratings current or expired / ratings from other countries?

2. How will we validate existing pilots who do not hold one of the above ratings?

3. Should I celebrate on a Monday evening? :-) :-)

Please do feel free to answer the above if you have ideas or constructive comments. :-)

Again, I had to vent as I am super excited about this :-) I will keep feeding information in as and when it gets firmed up over the next few weeks. I have another meeting next week after which I will be able to give you a launch date.

The one thing that I do know is that it's finally happening :-) :-)

HAPPY AS A PIG IN POO.

:dive:

SW :D

• Upvote 1

I get your point but for me I don't care so much about what they decide is the best option. I decided that the best way to be happy in life is to focus positively in what you are doing and leave what others think / do aside. That is what I am doing in this case :-)

I am looking at what is best for the long term needs of the sport. If that means accepting pilots that have a bhpa ticket thats what will happen :-) I have some concerns about it which is why I asked the question but I am keeping it clean of political BS an popping out of the other side with what is the best for the sport. :-)

Only dead fish go with the flow ;-)

(cheers NR)

I'm sure... That if everyone thinks about it without all the bullshit ...

If your driving down a road in your shiny new car and a prop explodes from a paramotor above and goes through your windscreen or worse....

Whether the pilot has 10 hours or a thousand hours experience, you would feel better knowing that there is a policy that you can claim on...

So bhpa trained or otherwise -- all pilots should have third party insurance as a bare minimum

[THUMBS UP SIGN]

The AXA policy is fine mate. :-)

As you say, one of the main benefits of our policy is that both the underwriters and the insurers are UK based long standing companies :-)

I contacted AXA UK and they laughed at me (actually laughed down the phone) when I asked why we can not get cover from the UK.

I don't know of any claims made or paid yet but that is always the proof in the pudding with insurance (the product)

Our insurers are aviation insurers who have been around for a long time and have paid claims for helicopters, GA, and even stunt jets at aviation events when its all gone pete tong so have a known reputation for fairness in the wider aviation industry.

1. Do we also accept bhpa ratings current or expired / ratings from other countries?

Yes. The important thing is that people are insured. Do you even need to look into ratings for insurance? AXA doesn't. Is this more a question of entry into PMC? If so, I'd point you at the diving arena where the two main UK Beginner training organisations (BSAC and PADI) accept each other on an equivalency basis and this is very much the way to go in my opinion.

2. How will we validate existing pilots who do not hold one of the above ratings?

How crucial is it that they are validated? AXA insurance requires no validation and this encourages cover. If validation makes cover cheaper then fine, but if not then I'd leave it open and make the sport better covered to everyone's benefit.

3. Should I celebrate on a Monday evening? :-) :-)

Oh yes, you've done a good thing! :)

beer.gif

The main reason for the insurance company requiring a 'standard' is simple.

Looking back over the last few years you will notice that we have had a handful of insurers selling a policy to anyone who wanted one. Both of the two main companies stopped insuring Paramotors.

The main reason for on-risk (or more importantly Albion who were the underwriters) pulled out of the industry is because they did not have a 'level playing field' to insure against. Which makes some sense to me.

So in a nutshell, I guess the people who are flying with no/little training behind them are more likely to cause a claim to be submitted V someone who has actual piloting skills and knowledge.

It has literally taken a small team of us, 7 years to get a UK based underwriter to cover pilots who have done our training course. The reason it has suddenly happened now is because our system has been approved in Sweden as the 'licence' issuing standard so now the new underwriters have the level playing field.

If your driving down a road in your shiny new car and a prop explodes from a paramotor above and goes through your windscreen or worse....

Whether the pilot has 10 hours or a thousand hours experience, you would feel better knowing that there is a policy that you can claim on...

So bhpa trained or otherwise -- all pilots should have third party insurance as a bare minimum

[THUMBS UP SIGN]

This is something AXA insured pilots need to clarify.

I have been informed that the AXA insurance covers the wing and what is attached to it, It only covers impact/contact.

I have it in an email from AXA that an accident resulting in a Horse being spooked by a Paramotor or something falling off as it is not a contact accident they would not defend a claim.

Im not saying that the BHPA would pay out, but im pretty sure that would act on behalf of the BHPA Pilot .

Im interested in what this NEW Paramotor Insurance has to offer.

(Instructors, coaches, Tandems etc)

Cheers Simon

Paul

[THUMBS UP SIGN]

This is something AXA insured pilots need to clarify.

I have been informed that the AXA insurance covers the wing and what is attached to it, It only covers impact/contact.

I have it in an email from AXA that an accident resulting in a Horse being spooked by a Paramotor or something falling off as it is not a contact accident they would not defend a claim.

Im not saying that the BHPA would pay out, but im pretty sure that would act on behalf of the BHPA Pilot .

Im interested in what this NEW Paramotor Insurance has to offer.

(Instructors, coaches, Tandems etc)

Cheers Simon

Paul

Hi Paul,

Let me get back to you after our meeting as I have many questions of my own to ask at it. I want to try and make a clear statement of fact after this. But as it stands we have cover for pilots, tandem Paramotor cover is highly likely (I would say 90%) and instructor insurance we have not even spoken about yet.

The companies involved have been insuring this type of industry for many a moon, so I am hoping that they are expecting it at the meeting :) My main goal was to get insurance for the masses in the first instance.

Hope your both well and happy! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got out of a meeting with the new insurers :-)

I have a draft copy of the policy to read though and apply changes if any. Then it will go back to the insurers for sign off and it will be ready! :-)

Estimated time until delivery is 4-5 weeks.

Cost will be £150 for 2 million 3rd party cover. There are also some cool additions regarding accidental airspace infringement, landing out / crop damage, tandem cover for instruction and so on... It is a very comprehensive GA standard policy specific to aviation.

Details of how to get this insurance will be sent out in E-mail shorty before launch day.

Needless to say, happy is an understatement!!

I am also happy to say that the underwriters for this policy are, Lloyds of London who can proudly claim to be the largest aviation underwriters in Europe. This includes commercial airliners, military aircraft down to flex wing microlights and now Paramotors! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I had a call today, the insurance company are meeting with the underwriters again next week to get approval for the newly worded policy. :-)

This is all happening much faster than I expected! (which is of course a good thing) :-) The expected go live is now only 2 weeks.

We are still working out the 'entry level' for this cover... We 100% want to filter out people who have had no training at all, but we don't want to filter out people who have had independent instruction...

One thing that has become clear and that I will start a new thread about soon, is that we will be running a FREE PMC instructors course in the UK to ALL existing instructors (most likely over the winter months!) :-) As I say, I will start a new thread about that soon, but if your interested in attending please PM me.

Other information that I can give you is that the policy will cover the PMC and its named members. It will run annually from the date that we are covered. So if you get cover the day we go live, your will pay a full year (£150) If you started exactly 6 months from the go live date you would pay half that amount but your renewal would be the date of the PMC renewal day.

This is such an awesome thing for the PMC and its members :-)

I am happy to take calls about this regarding eligibility for cover but I am legally limited as to information regarding the cover it's self. There will be a special UK BASED number that you will be able to call to talk directly to the insurance company about such matters at the time of launch. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The final policy has now been written up. :-) The marketing people at that end are putting together the e-mail for me to send out. I will send this out first to all existing full members.

There will be a simple form for you to fill in on this site which then goes into the system. You will then be contacted by the insurance company.

You can call the insurance company directly with any questions. That information will be in the email.

Basically, the PMC is the 'filter' so that I can make sure people who are getting insured have had either the PMC course or at least an equivalent level of training. If you are unsure if you will be able to take out this policy please do give me a call (evenings is best) 07983 428 453

You will also need to be a fully paid up member of the Paramotor Club as it is the club and it's 'named paid members' who will be insured.

I hope this will all happen in the next 7 days!!

:acro::acro::acro::acro: