Gin Mirage......review in Paramotor Magazine 44

rsquared

I know this wing has been out for a while....but reading the review, it definitely ticks a lot of boxes.

Ok it is a little heavy....due to solid construction, good materials...it's going to last.

Sheathed lines ( I like that)

Turns flat with weight shift...just like a free flying paraglider (tick the box for me)

Brakes are soft to the touch...not for beginners....(tick the box)

Has full reflex and as stable as any other reflex out there...tick.

Great for XC powered or free flying...tick.

Can also be flung around close to the ground (not competition slalom ) for fun...tick.

Collaboration of two great minds into the development of this wing...tick.

Plus many more features that I won't bore you with..

So...are there any members out there who have a Mirage, and if so could you please share your thoughts on this wing.

I live in Thailand and have just found the Thai dealer for Gin gliders is only 2 hours drive away from my home...and he has quoted 85,000 Thai Baht for a new glider....That's about 1,600 BP. So very tempting.

I am still dreaming....and waiting for those dreams to come true.

Cheers.

Rob.

I have a 26m mirage which is my first wing. I was a little put off by its intermediate rating but my instructor who I trust convinced me it would be right for me.

Thus far I am very happy, my only comparison is EN A free flying wings so I am not the best to review it.

The construction is very good, it's very easy to launch and feels very stable in flight. I have no explored it's full speed range yet but managed 60kph with the trimmers in neutral so trimmers out should be nice and fast.

As a beginner it can come in to land quite fast on low wind days but that's just something I need to get used to.

I would recommend it.

G'day Paul,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I feel like a cat on a hot tin roof....there are so many good gliders out there at the moment, I am grounded due to lack of finances, but when that changes....how long is a piece of string??

So at the moment, the Mirage is on the top of my list (only cause I can easily get it locally), then the new Kougar 2 by Niviuk looks very impressive....but no agents in Thailand.

So in the meantime....I'll just sit back and watch all you lucky people flying...knowing soon I'll be there amongst you.

Fly Safe.

Cheers.

I've heard some very good things about the kougar2 it's apparently worth a good look into.

My coach is sponsored by them and has a pre release kougar2. It is a bit too early to say how good it is but the design is certainly different with the tiny openings on the leading edge. I would love to see a review of it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob,

I have done quite few hours with the Gin Airflex, which is exactly the same as the Mirage except it has Mylar in the leading edge rather than nylon rods.

I would agree with all of the points that you highlighted from the review except the point

"Great for XC powered or free flying...tick."

It is great for XC powered but you would really struggle to fly XC free flying, you can free fly it as long as conditions are strong (thermals or dynamic lift) but if you fly alongside any modern non reflex paraglider in you will soon be on the ground watching them fly above you. I have spent quite a few frustrating hours free flying the Airflex.

Where are you in Thailand? I am near Kalasin, You could also have a look at the Dudek Nucleon, you can get one for about 94,000 Baht (£1800) here.

Paul

G'day Paul (padeakin),

Thanks for your reply. I live out in the sticks called Pong Krating, just checked on Google Earth and in a straight line I am about 540km SW of Kalasin.

The free flying I would like to do is "flying with the motor till I find good lift, turn the motor off and then when I can no longer stay up...pull the cord and power up again." I know I am dreaming at the moment, but I am currently grounded due to lack of finances, so I am trying to research what is available to me here in Thailand.

By all reports the Dudek Nucleon does sound like a good wing. Thanks.

Rob.

• 5 months later...
I know this wing has been out for a while....but reading the review, it definitely ticks a lot of boxes.

Ok it is a little heavy....due to solid construction, good materials...it's going to last.

Sheathed lines ( I like that)

Turns flat with weight shift...just like a free flying paraglider (tick the box for me)

Brakes are soft to the touch...not for

Paris shuttle airport beginners....(tick the box)

Has full reflex and as stable as any other reflex out there...tick.

Great for XC powered or free flying...tick.

Can also be flung around close to the ground (not competition slalom ) for fun...tick.

Collaboration of two great minds into the development of this wing...tick.

Plus many more features that I won't bore you with..

So...are there any members out there who have a Mirage, and if so could you please share your thoughts on this wing.

I live in Thailand and have just found the Thai dealer for Gin gliders is only 2 hours drive away from my home...and he has quoted 85,000 Thai Baht for a new glider....That's about 1,600 BP. So very tempting.

I am still dreaming....and waiting for those dreams to come true.

Cheers.

Rob.

Your description is so elaborate . so i am easily understand about your deams. I have also a dream to tour different country.