CB radio and flying/paramotors

tj

Basically the two legal options for a Paramotor radio are:

A) PMR Radio

B) Air band Radio Tuned to Safety Com. 135.475

Any other Radio being used from a Paramotor is technically Illegal.

SW :D

Hmm, not actually sure that PMR is legal for airborne use in the UK FAT. And of course you need an RT licence to use airband legally and then there's still a bit of a question over whether a handheld airband is an approved radio installation...

Probably better to go with PMR since its a fraction of the power of airband and so less likely to cause 'bother' and if there is 'bother' then its not a safety critical system as used by others as such.

Anyone know if 2m is actually legal for airborne use?

We're having a lot of joy with Sena bluetooth - peer to peer and via phone for long range ...

2m will always be an amateur band as it has PRIMARY status for amateur radio worldwide.

It can be used by the military on a secondary status at 'between channel' frequencies but I know of no one that has heard anything of that nature.

The most accurate info is the ppginfo link posted by PatPux,

Cheers, Alan

I've not come across Sena before, looks interesting. How good is their claim of 2km range on the bluetooth?

I rather like the look of the GoPro bluetooth adaptor, if it works to record the conversation on the Bluetooth. Looks quite smart. Guess it could be used to record other sound inputs too.

Pat, sorry for the delay. A bunch of us use the Sena SMH10r (the r denotes the slimline version with seperate battery) installed in a variety of helmets (which doesnt neccesarily need any mod to the helmet. Bluetooth gives a good 500m range with up to 4 peple in live chat. It pairs with s bluetooth phone to give you very clear phonecalls for longer ranges and very good audio if your phone does tunes .

Pat, sorry for the delay. A bunch of us use the Sena SMH10r (the r denotes the slimline version with seperate battery) installed in a variety of helmets (which doesnt neccesarily need any mod to the helmet. Bluetooth gives a good 500m range with up to 4 peple in live chat. It pairs with s bluetooth phone to give you very clear phonecalls for longer ranges and very good audio if your phone does tunes .

Right, Thanks. I looked at the Sena site and thought it was probably the SMH10R. But you use the supplied earpieces and mike boom? There's no way to patch in a microavionics (or similar) headset and mike? Or am I missing the point .

I read a lot about the fact they have now upgraded the firmware to give sidetone, which is important for us isn't it? Being in a noisy environment.

George Holmes (george1966) mentioned in passing that he was ditching his PMRs in favour of Bluetooth phones/intercoms, but I never caught up with him as to the details.

I dont think it would be worth trying to patch in to the microavionics gear as the impedences are unlikely to match etc.

You will probably be able to fit the Sena speakers along with the MA speakers in the earcans and you get an optional wire only mic that could be used on the MA boom. But yes that does miss the point really as the best thing about Sena is having a lightweight, wireless helmet.

Probably best to start afresh and keep/sell the MA.

Sidetone has defenitely made the Sena setup much better as you suggest.

You can still use PMR, airband or any other radio with Sena as they sell a bluetooth module that connects to the radio, so the helmet remains wireless and you use the PTT on the radio itself.

Might depend on the actual functionality of the 'other radio', as some only enable the built in microphone when the PTT is pressed, rather than taking the audio signal from an external source.

More usually it has to be an external PTT to enable the external mic input.

Check it out first if possible,

Cheers, Alan

• 3 weeks later...