southend airspace changes

outkast

lucky we found a site at dunton to fly from, if we were still at canewdon we would be fu#*ed come the 19th of july

RMZ = Radio Mandatory Zone

There is about to be a change in the continuing story of Southend and CAS.

The BHPA only heard about this RMZ a matter of hours ago. Our response is being considered and discussed with our GA Alliance colleagues.

Southend’s request arose out of a number of incidents and Airproxes, including the one with the untraced ppg that prompted the UK Airprox Board to recommend, “The CAA reviews the regulation and licensing of paramotor glider pilots.”

Please disseminate the following and the map by all relevant available means a.s.a.p.

NEW SOUTHEND RMZ

With effect from Saturday 19th July 2014 there will be a new Radio Mandatory Zone (RMZ) around Southend. It will be as per this chart and from the surface up to the base of the overlying CAS.

The following quotes are from the CAA letter announcing the airspace.

"Southend is in the process of applying for Controlled Airspace. However, even if this CAS ACP application is approved by the CAA it is not envisaged that CAS will be in place before February 2015 at the earliest. London Southend Airport (LSA) outlined the request for a Radio Mandatory Zone (RMZ) to augment safety measures of existing ATC procedures for the intervening period until a decision is made regarding the LSA CAS ACP. The role of the CAA is to ensure the safe, efficient and equitable usage of all UK airspace by all users and as such, the CAA Safety and Airspace Regulation Group (SARG), accepting the LSA requirement for appropriate airspace mitigation, has examined the request in detail and has considered the case for the establishment of an RMZ. It has been concluded that the establishment of a temporary RMZ will satisfy LSA’s requirement for enhanced safety in the vicinity of the airport until a decision is made on the CAS ACP. The establishment of an RMZ is considered to be appropriate and to satisfactorily accommodate Southend ATC’s short term requirements, to have a known traffic environment, whilst not overly restricting other airspace users."

"Although an ATC clearance is not required to gain entry to the Southend RMZ, a pilot must establish two way communication with Southend prior to entry. An initial call on 130.775MHz should contain the designation of the station being called, call sign, type of aircraft, position, level, the intentions of the flight and other information as prescribed by Southend ATC. Pilots must then remain on frequency whilst in the zone unless instructed otherwise. Aircraft not fitted with radios can still operate in the RMZ provided the pilot is able to co-ordinate suitable arrangements with Southend ATC prior to departure. Southend ATC may at times request RMZ traffic to deviate from its route or level in order to deconflict from Southend arriving or departing traffic, although as the airspace remains as Class G, the decision on whether or not to accept the request rests with the pilot."

This the first semi-permanent RMZ in the country and as such it is vital for all GA that it works as it represents a far less draconian imposition than Class D airspace, even for our flying. We cannot afford any infringements.

IMG_zpsc4b0bafd.jpg

Oh no what a shame .

Looks like your going to have to find yourself another flying field Neilzy ..

Absolutely not, planning to and will be flying from my field for very long time well beyond the 19th can't see any reason or need to have to stop

Oh no what a shame .

Looks like your going to have to find yourself another flying field Neilzy ..

Absolutely not, planning to and will be flying from my field for very long time well beyond the 19th can't see any reason or need to have to stop

I hope so Neil I really do !

Hi Neilzy

I have noticed a few recent posts regarding Southend airspace changes and I cant really under stand how this will affect us in any way.

I have no intention changing fields, is their something that you may know that I don't?

• 9 months later...

Hi gents, not sure if I have contacted you before but after considering to fly for the past 18 moths I have just purchased my first paramotor.i live in Hockley and would love to meet up for a coffee or beer one weekend or evening. Would be great to catch up with enthusiasts in the Southend area. My tel number is 07595 219725. Cheers Danny