Not reaching Max RPM on Blackhawk 125

Tyrhone

Hey all, I have hit the Coast of Mexico so no longer at altitude and am prepping to go flying in the next couple days. Anyways I was setting up my Blackhawk BH 125 today and running it through all the checks I know to do, and when actually running the paramotor I found I could not get it higher than 5500 rpm at full throttle.

I checked through the threads and it seems this problem before has been cured by prop changes, but I am using the same prop I have used before and although I hoped I had it on the wrong way round, it is exactly as it was before (but here are a couple pics in case it has been wrong the whole time!)

573363f127ce4_MeontheFusion.jpg.cebe2b6e

spark-plug.jpg.25d5bc46c191aa3a033f63693

prop-1.jpg.6e893f8f4ce2a66956e19f1f796b9

prop-2.jpg.8756423a4fe425159049fccc2d9bf

Is it running "lumpy" or firing every second cycle (four stroking), with lots of smoke out the exhaust?

If so, you could be running rich?

Is the choke lever disengaged?

If that's not the issue, I would pull the head off and check the cylinder.

Actually feels like it is running really nicely and very little smoke, even a smooth idle, temp also seems good, it just wont go over 5500 rpm, sometimes only 5000rpm.

What should I be looking for with the cylinder? I will try lean it out more and see if that helps, just nervous about overheating after previously blowing a piston. I'll also check the choke lever in the morning as it could have been bumped.

Thanks mate

Is it running "lumpy" or firing every second cycle (four stroking), with lots of smoke out the exhaust?

From your description, its more likely you could be running lean, if it's smooth and no smoke. Disassemble the carb and check and clean it, and also the internal filters. Are you using an in-line fuel filter in to hose into the carb? Has the carb been put together correctly?

If that doesn't help, look for scoring marks on the cylinder. You may have lost compression. Is it easier to pull start?

Notch you bloody ripper! Turns out it was the choke, must have gotten bumped in transit and to be honest I didn't know what was engaged or disingaged, went through some old emails from Mike Robinson at Blackhawk Paramotors where he had previously told me, and hey presto, got to 6000 RPM with a lot of throttle still available.

Winds permitting I will be flying on the Pacific Coast of Mexico tomorrow.

Thanks again for your time mate.

Cheers

Ty