flying without a base gasket?

Tyrhone

So the yankell from guatemala did not put the base gasket back in place ( I think that is what it is called, thelittle thing that goes around the piston and looks lilikee cardboard with holes in it). Is it ok to tighten everything up and fly my bh 125 like this? Anything to be aware of?

Thanks

That sucks but thanks mate. Would I be able to get a base gasket for my paramotor from a bike shop or are the made specifically for each motor?

Its a bad idea. You will have increased compression, and air leaks, both of which will make your engine far more likely to detonate.

Sweet thanks for the links and advice guys. Flew without today and everything seemed good. Launching at 2000 meters though on an engine made for max 95kg and I'm a fat bastard so it was just a short one.

Probably won't fly again for awhile (not while at altitude) so will likely purchase the right part before getting up. Good advice here for the future though. Thanks agaiin.

Hi notch, I spoke to Blackhawk and they said fly it for 10 minutes then check the spark. To be honest I think I just needed to get up in the air after months of nothing but grounded trouble.

If I can't straight out buy the correct base gasket I will try to make one. Only thing is I have no real tools as I am on the road. So if I made do with some basics (say a stanley knife) how accurate does this thing need to be and is there anything else I need to think about (I would likely go 0.8mm, but are all gasket materials the same? Would I likely find it ar a hardware store or bike store? Anything else?)

Thanks all

The 2000m part is what probably saved your engine from melting down. Probably would have been a different story at sea level...

An auto parts shop is your best bet for gasket paper.

It doesn't have to look pretty, but it MUST seal, and have no gaps that let air in.

Use the cylinder as a template, and make sure you don't block off the ports that feed gas to the piston.

Funnily enough, I have just finished installing an annealed copper base gasket on my engine as I got sick of having to replace it every 20 hours or so. But that's a lot harder to make, than one out of gasket paper.