Newbie with questions

Hello all, a bit about myself and a question.

I have been a wannabe pilot for many years now. I hCastellucciove flown Models, GA and Microlights (my favourite by far being a flexwing). The reason I got into Microlights was I wanted to fly as cheaply as possible and initially I wanted to Paramotor but was put off when I made enquiries to how much a setup would cost and was told at least £6500. So I ended up looking at flexwings as I could pick one up for £2500. The reality is that although cheap to buy they can be, actually running and keeping one can be quite costly (also the idea of paramotors never quite left me).

So on to my question; I know of a full second hand setup that has 10 flights use and comprises of a Fly Castelluccio 122/ 130 (are they still in business?), synthessis 31(2007), ground harness, vario, gps, icom, all covers and flying suit ect. Is it possibly worth £3000? I weigh 90-95kg. Also, before I commit to anything, I need to go to a funday or have a lesson to see if I would enjoy it. Just wondered if the package was a good buy?

Cheers.

Hi I too am quite new to the sport of paramotoring, I have had around 35 flights and my advise is to buy nothing until the time is right. You would be better to get some professional training and fly on the schools equipment until you are ready to make the right choice of equipment, talk to other pilots, they are all helpful in my experience and experience is priceless. One lesson will not in my opinion help you to decide if its something you want to do or not. Get trained fly then make your decision .

Hi,

Complete novice here but agree with the above! don't rush into buying anything, i waited 3 years, but even then i managed to buy something not suitable! :roll: ! For me, and by far the best decision i made was going to visit a club while they were training, talked to the instructor and watched people fly! Within a few weeks i went from knowing nothing and having a wing unsuitable for the job, to now having sorted out nearly all my equiptment and started training with a brilliant instructor and some great people, with confidence and trust that i am safe! even on a budget of £3000 it is possible, as i have almost proven :) so in short.. don't make a mistake like i did and buy poor equipment in a rush to get your feet off the ground! Buy from the pro's in person and get your instructor to advise you, and lastly, have fun in the process!! You'll meet a great bunch of people along the way! :)

:dive:

Cheers Michael, good to hear its possible to get sorted for3k and hopefully get reasonably decent gear. I will have to find out where the nearest site is in the North East. I know Active Edge do it, they seem to concentrate more on getting you through the paragliding syllabus first and then train you on your own motor. Just worried thats a far more expensive way; maybe Im wrong and thats the route you should take into paramotoring?

Any thoughts much appreciated,

cheers

Hi,

It is more expensive doing it that way. But also, it means that you have to buy a Paramotor before you fly one. It's always good to use school kit for the first couple of flights until you know your deffo going to like it! :-)

SW :D

I guess I'm the odd one out here! I had been frustrated by learning to hang glide, then not having the money for equipment for a long time. So when I switched to paramotoring I didn't want to make the same mistake... So I saved the money for the equipment first, bought the eqpt & then got my training abroad on school kit while mine was sitting at home waiting to be used. Maybe it was blind luck, but i prefer to think that lots of research & talking to ppg pilots was what resulted in me getting pretty decent and suitable kit.