Dudek synthesis 34 break lines

Hi guys,

I fly a Moster Bulldog with a 34 dudek Synthesis with with an all up weight of about 165Kg.

It's correctly configured for the high hang points but I find that I don't get a great response

to my landing flares as the break lengths are just a little too long and I tend to come in just

A little to fast sometimes. However, as I come in to land, if I wrap the breaks around my glove,

in effect shortening them by aprox' 5-6 inches then it dampens the landing perfectly.

I'm therefor considering shortening each break line by 5-6 inches. Anyone else had a similar

problem?

Pianoman

Sent from my iPad using PMC Forum mobile app.

Just from my own experience with the synth....

I bought mine secondhand & have always noticed a similar issue.

BUT....a few weeks ago I sent it to Aerofix for a routine check & examination, they reported that the lines were ALREADY TIED 9cm SHORTER than the manufacturer specs. I can only guess that the previous owner shortened them by 4".

I have yet to fly it with the correct brake line length, because I'm away at the moment. I personally had no adverse issues while i was unintentionally flying with them shortened (Not an endorsement, just my personal experience!). However, shortening them may not make a big difference, as I still noticed the same thing. They still seemed long.

When I see how she is, I might shorten them back up by 4".

Mine is configured for flying low hang point.

Same AUW, same wing, but low hang point Parajet Macro. I have felt the same about speed and brake authority in the flare, that often had me skidding in for an arse landing.

My last landing on which I ended up very gently landing on my feet, I put the trims to full slow, ie minus 1 or 2.

George1966 suggested I tried this, after he started to use it and got him landing upright every time.

Yes i agree, the brake travel on the Synth is long - i noticed it on my first few flights.

I was talking about it to Clive Bunce last weekend and he says it`s been designed-in for us beginners so we don`t grab a big handful of brake and have the wing diving all over the place..

During one flight i pulled the brakes while watching the trailing edge - there was about 6" of freeplay before the trailing edge was affected so this meant i could move the brake handle up the line about 4" and still have the necessary freeplay required to avoid trailing edge deformation while flying - you may have noticed the massive `bow` in the brake lines while flying, lots of freeplay in them.

Check with trims in and out if you do this, although i think it shouldn`t effect anything as when the trims are opened the trailing edge is raised, but so are the risers to which the brake lines are attached to so keeping the freeplay consistant?

Still didn`t improve my landings much though!

Neither did taking a wrap - correct technique on a reflex seems to be the way to go for successful landings...

Hi I've the same wing and noticed the same issue. It's been discussed here before and the general opinion was that it has been designed in to allow for the large trim range of the wing.

That said I have shortened mine slightly, no more than an inch though, this allows me to take a small wrap with my fingers and get what feels like a good flare.

Certainly a small pull on landing flattens the desert prior to bleeding the speed off.

Interesting that Hann mentions the trims because I also noticed that when I opened the trimmers, there was no tension on the strap to pull them out past about 10. I wonder were the shortened brake lines restricting the trailing edge from going up that last one or two trim points into full reflex.

Again, I won't be flying her for a few months while I'm away, but will definitely check this. I generally try to avoid changing any settings that the wing was certified with.

I've been reviewing my chase cam vid and on the flight out of the field after take off I left the trimmers on 0 to get a good climb and I noticed from the footage that there's plenty of slack in the lines. Once I turned around and head back to my LZ I opened up the trimmers fully to make my way through a head wind and still the brake lines looked reasonably slack to me. I'm pretty convinced I can shorten them by 5" and not have any adverse effects...it's either that or just keep wrapping the lines around my hands shortly prior to landing (which is fine as long as you have gloves on!)

Pianoman

[quote name="

myusername] when I opened the trimmers' date=' there was no tension on the strap to pull them out past about 10. [/quote']

If we`re still talking about the Synth then mine does this, too.

I have to `push` the buckle up the strap to get the max reflex setting.

Not sure it actually does much above 10 anyway as the riser webbing has reached it`s limit (max reflex) at that point anyway..

When i take a wrap i find it`s difficult to get my fingers on the throttle lever - it`s pushed out of reach slightly - it maybe OK without gloves on..

I've not got round to going full trim, usually 10 is the highest I've wanted bearing in mind I just bimble about. Even so they seem to rip out needing only pressure on the grip to release them. I know afew have shortened them slightly but just do a small amount.

I can't find the previous post on here about it but the slack is supposed to be their for the trim range ( so it said anyway ) ?

I'll keep It as it is for a while until I check a bit more in flight footage having played about with the trims and themN see what happens - I just need to remember to wear gloves to avoid rope burn when flaring with a couple of wraps around my bare hands

Pianoman

It's just annoying and something extra to think about prior to landing.

And try opening your trimmers up fully dude - I'd recommend it, it does make you a lot quicker and mine feels rock steady when they're open, even in bumpy conditions.

Pianoman

Hi guys.

What I would do is on my next flight get high and away from others, full fast trim, and with a permanent marker pen mark on your break line the point at which the break line starts to affect the trailing edge. Make allowance for any travel the pulley wheel may have. Also where the magnets / holders are located. Then when you land move the handle towards your mark, perhaps allow an inch of slack.

Just to state the obvious for safety:

Mark the lines on fast trim, fully out.

Make allowance for any travel the pulley wheel at the break handle may

have.

You want to achieve a situation where on full fast trim with the breaks parked in the magnets / holders the break lines need just a small movement to affect the trailing edge.

Regards Whitters.

• Upvote 1

Hi Pianoman

I also have Bulldog with a synth34 with similar weights and had the same problem in my first year or so. Had plenty of dirty knees & slid on my ars with most landings. Tried lots of things & could not sort it. I eventually set trims on 2 for landing giving more speed to help the flare. This worked well & made landing on feet easy. This gave me a better feel of the wing & now have few problems landing with trims at 0

Quite often I flare & can go back up so there is plenty of travel in the brakes. Not completely sure what I am doing different but I think just leaving any brake until nearly touching so there is speed for the flare.

Russell