Paramotor Engine Mounts.

Steve

Here's the developer's website: http://www.vikingppg.com

I've always had a nagging worry about two bits of metal glued to a rubber block and hanging my engine off it. At £60 for a set including shipping from USA it sounds like a good investment. They are supposed to make a big difference to vibration too.

ETA: Here's a YouTube review:

I have also considered the failure mode of the bonded rubber mounts.

Some of the claims on the developers website are a bit 'worst possible case'. While some bonded mounts may only be rated for compressive loads in ideal conditions, most are not. Bonded mounts are used extensively in automotive applications, frequently in partial shear, getting hot, cold, wet, oily and salty.

The failure mode is not usually the bond, but the rubber itself. Both designs can fall apart if the elastomer fails.

Vibration may be 'improved' if the rate of the new mounts is better suited to the specific engine and frame than the rate of the old mounts.

If security is a concern, a short length of steel cable can be fitted across each mount with enough slack in it to permit normal movement. If the mount fails, the cable prevents excessive movement of the engine and keeps the prop from becoming involved with the frame and cage.

The right products for this application already exist.

There's nothing wrong with 'worst possible case', respecting that kept me alive for twenty years of UK cave diving. I prefer using a piece of webbing around the mount instead of wire - I'd swap to these immediately but it turns out there's a lack of size variation at present.

By 'worst possible case' I mean worst design, worst choice of material etc.

Many of the possible concerns with bonded mounts can be eliminated simply by using appropriate parts for the required function.

I've no doubt that the polyeurethane bushes are up to the job.

On the Viking PPG website, the developer states that he was originally intending to source mounts by "going down to Graingers".

There is quite a range of possibilities between the local hardware store and bespoke design.

If my son ran his own business making polyeurethane bushes, I might well have done the same thing.

I don't want to put the guy down, but also we don't need to panic.

My engine is mounted on four bonded isolators. Regular inspection includes checking the mounts for sag and cracks.

I almost gagged when I watched the you tube presentation....and there it was...A flatop.

Then I had to read the expected trash in the comments below.

All said and done...the polyurethane mounts do look impressive and although I am by no means a mechanical guru, I do understand that the normal rubber mounts are intended for resistance to compression and not shear forces.

Cheers.

By 'worst possible case' I mean worst design, worst choice of material etc.

Nothing wrong with him taking that attitude if he set out to improve all aspects of it.

There is quite a range of possibilities between the local hardware store and bespoke design.

How do we know which option a paramotor manufacturer went for? The most cost-effective? I hope not.

I don't want to put the guy down, but also we don't need to panic.

I think he should be applauded, he's taken the initiative for something that gets discussed fairly often, the fact that engines hang off a washer glued to a bit of rubber. I have no idea who made the mounts on any machine I've owned or used and there's been no information supplied regarding their spec. I particularly like the fact that there is an internal structure in the Viking mounts as well as being made from polyurethane.

I hope he finds success and expands his range offering more size options.

I'm flogging a dead horse here so I'll stop other than saying I've discovered Vince at Air Conception was importing these mounts last year so it looks like they are available in the UK (see links below). But beware 'cos it's just some guy trying to make money out of us.

http://www.custom-air.co.uk/shop/polyurethane-engine-mounts/

http://theparamotorforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=336&p=1380

At some point, the pilot has to make the decision; "Do I trust the manufacturer of my paramotor?"

If you don't trust them to have supplied appropriate engine mounts, there would be no reason to trust that they had supplied appropriate frame material or anything else.

Let's face it engine mounts don't JUST let go, They wear and will split around the edge first, If you fly a high power machine or one that Vibrates allot keep an eye on out...

If they look Dull with a powdery coating or with small cracks splits "change them"

PRE FLIGHT CHECKS!!!!! :wink:

• 4 months later...

if you spend up to 5k on a new machine you would expect the product to be of good quality but some dealers (not all) sell motors then when problems occur become avaisive and tend to take a line that the new owner has done something wrong !

i am having mount problems at moment with a simonini mine 2 melting 2 mounts after one hours flying the machine has only 8.5 hours on it still trying to discover what is causing problem ie defective mounts or engine overheating

some advise would be much appreciated about this and also how to deal with my dealer

thanks neil

I've a simo mini plus 2 with now 20 hrs on it the engine mounts on mine look fine and I've not long stripped it down after being clumsy.

That makes me doubt over heating, but I'm really not experienced enough to rely on just thought it may help. By the the way mines in an ec extreme.

Cheers Lee.

Hello fellow paramotorists from abroad!

I want to chime in a little as I just went through this event not long ago. I own a Kangook frame with the classic cage and it sports a Vittorazzi Moster 185 motor on it. Other than the plaguing muffler issues that most Mosters have, I noticed that my stock motor mounts were failing at 60hrs. Sorry no before pictures! They were actually sagging downward about 5-7mm from level. It worried me when I noted that the rubber looked like it was seperating from the bolt.

I found the viking motor mounts and bought a set and they seem to fit the bill. I notice no more or less vibration and have about 30hrs on them so far. So with that said, I am happy.

See photos:

cutawayview_zpsbbdef9f5.jpg

MotorMounts2_zps8472a720.jpg

MotorMounts1_zpsbde35a29.jpg

Cheers,

Patrick Morais

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

• 2 weeks later...

I had 2 rubber mounts fail on me a couple of weeks ago (they held on the exhaust), they sheared through the middle of the rubber, no sign of cracks beforehand.

Exhaust swung into the prop, with expensive consequences.

As has been already suggested, I'd recommend webbing around the rubber mount, so if it fails, it's not catastrophic.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

So when you guys say webbing what type of webbing and where do you get it from? Cheers

I had 2 rubber mounts fail on me a couple of weeks ago (they held on the exhaust), they sheared through the middle of the rubber, no sign of cracks beforehand.

Exhaust swung into the prop, with expensive consequences.

As has been already suggested, I'd recommend webbing around the rubber mount, so if it fails, it's not catastrophic.

Simon