Help Choosing Equipment Please! :)

Michaelt

I use the Garmin eTrex and it does all that I need. Works out of the box without the internet, although I can't remember now whether I had to upload a map to it initially as I've been using it for years.

Regards,

Ian

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Garmin eTrex and it does all that I need. Works out of the box without the internet, although I can't remember now whether I had to upload a map to it initially as I've been using it for years.

Regards,

Ian

If you want better than their background mapping, which is useless for our application, you will need to load some mapping, so if you are buying secondhand make sure it comes with something like GB Topo. But don't expect, even that to look like what you get from OS. You would need a different GPS for that.

Tbh, though, I use my Garmin 60Csx ( a slightly higher end model to the Etrex) just for the data read outs and the waypoint following facility , which Garmin call Tracback.

For OS mapping I use a Satmap A10 http://www.satmap.co.uk/pdf/SM-USER-ENG ... -10-06.pdf

Thanks everyone, I will take a look at both units, just need a basic one for now and will upgrade or put it on the Xmas list haha, I will take a look at some reviews! Do these both display height etc?

Also, does anyone own an ozone helmet, they are cheap and I am tempted, but I want it to be safe!

Cheers