Own up??

Fly_mow

The disturbing thing about the official report is that although the radar system limitations are primarily looked at. A lot of the findings heavily note the lack of requirement for training and or licensing, mentioning the need for a review. Another step closer to full regulation??

This is an interesting subject then. Why start considering 'over regulation' if the Paraglider wasn't at fault?

I like to fly in Dorset around Poole harbour and around the beautiful Jurassic coast which borders Bournmouth Airport airspace. Always a quick phone call to ATC to let them know where you'll be and they're more than accommodating, giving advice and guidance on when to fly and how high etc but never any close calls there for me so far (touch wood).

Had a flight near Brighton once and suddenly saw the Sussex Air Ambulance shoot past about 300ft away at 140mph which made me think that we are quite vulnerable but is regulation the answer? Better coms' maybe?

Pianoman

Sent from my iPad using PMC Forum mobile app.

Piano man.

I completely agree with you, the problem is everything I have read so far where paramotors are painted as the culprit. Tends to lead to authorities considering regulation. The problem is when things like this occur quite often it's difficult for us to argue against it due to the actions of the minority. My experience is very limited, so I can't comment on the rights or wrongs of this incident, personally I wouldn't have been there. Straight away they call in to question our knowledge of air law no matter how good it is because there is no licence or need for formal instruction.

Seems to me the authorities don't like the freedom the sport currently has.

Either way the powers that be will do as they wish and the little man will have to bend over and lube up.

This is an interesting subject then. Why start considering 'over regulation' if the Paraglider wasn't at fault?

Exactly my point.

The BHPA should have defended the sport not agreed with the media. :-(

SW :D

Piano man.

The problem is when things like this occur quite often it's difficult for us to argue against it due to the actions of the minority. .

I think that is what the BHPA are supposed to do. They are the 'voice' for the sport and they just agreed that licensing was a good idea!

Again, despite the fact that no one broke any laws or rules.

Why not a nice message saying that Paramotoring is a great sport and safe and fun blah blah blah.. and we are very sorry to hear about this rare and unusual event. blah blah blah...

SW :D

Hi

I just cant follow their logic.

The official cause was non sighting by the commercial jet ( inadequate lookout is how I read that)

Yet their answer is to recommend investigating into the training and licensing of paramotors.

Who (although agreed not the most sensible place to fly) was flying in accordance with all the relative regulations that applied to him.

Why aren't they recommending investigation into the commercial (professional remember) Pilots training in relevance to "G" class airspace and lookout requirements.

Which I am sure are a lot different from their usual approach habits at airfields with airspace restrictions and control centre where they know that everything inside is being actively managed .

Do no maybe its just me but is a bit off.

Ducking and covering Col...

Right I have just worked it out on memory map and the incident took place 11.1 miles from the airport the jet was heading towards, ceiling height in that area is 3500 ft, as far as I can see the paramotor pilot has done nothing wrong, I think most people who fly paramotors at some point have come within 11 miles of an airfield/airport, proberly without thinking it could be a problem.

I do find that as motor pilots the BHPA seem to treat us as second class citizens. They seem very much aimed at the free flyers. You rarely see any articles about Paramotoring in Skywings for eg. I'm a member of the Southern group and was told quite clearly (despite there being a substantial amount of Paraglider members who also fly motors) that they weren't interested in setting up a Paramotor sub section within the group.

Pianoman

Sent from my iPad using PMC Forum mobile app.