Off Topic: Coastal flying-easier?

Dont' think this is really feasable....... is there enough water in the world to increase sea level by 100m??

Dont forget that ice is less dense than water... as it melts it's volume decreases- so if the entire north polar cap melted, in theory sea level will drop.

There is an argument for ice resting on top of land melting and raising sea levels-- ie antactic.... but 100metres......??? over the entire surface area of the world, 100m......? I don't think so.

Dont' think this is really feasable....... is there enough water in the world to increase sea level by 100m??

Dont forget that ice is less dense than water... as it melts it's volume decreases- so if the entire north polar cap melted, in theory sea level will drop.

There is an argument for ice resting on top of land melting and raising sea levels-- ie antactic.... but 100metres......??? over the entire surface area of the world, 100m......? I don't think so.

Sorry Gordon but your theory is bogus.......simply fill a glass to the rim with water and ice....wait for the ice to melt....the level does NOT drop...the glass overflows!

Cheers.

I agree ice is less dense than water.

You are forgetting that the portion of ice floating above the water level ie the level of the glass, once melted adds to the total volume, hence....the glass overflows.

I know splitting hairs.....but I don't agree with the theory that if the polar ice melts the sea level will drop.

Cheers.

Gordon is correct that if the ice is floating it obeys archimedes principle.

The issue is not with ice melting, but with water expanding as it is heated. Most of the oceans are deep - very deep. About 4000m deep on average.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/oceandepth.html

Water has a thermal expansion coefficient of 2.07E-4, so a metre depth of water heated through 1°C will increase to 1.000207m.

This translates directly to 4000m depth of water, heated through 1°C increasing to 4000.8m depth.

To achieve 10m rise in global sea level would require about 12°C temperature rise.

The mass of the oceans is very large and the surface area exposed to solar heating is small by comparison. Imagine a 4000m high electric kettle. At 3kW, it would take a bloody long time to heat up, even with the element at the bottom. Put the element at the top and it's even slower.

It will likely be quicker to take a few bricks from your house, cycle to the coast and come back the next day for a few more bricks, rather than wait for the coast to come to you.

Edited by Guest

Repeat your experiment, ensuring that the ice is floating. If the ice was totally or partly supported on the bottom of the vessel, then when it melts the water level will certainly rise.

Ps.. not my theory.... FACT

Whale oil beef act!

Gordon....I did the ice in the water trick....and it did not overflow!

I stand corrected. Thank you for that. I love learning new things...or as in this case, expanding my mind outside its pre-conceived ideas.

Cheers.

Rob.